TVC15, This is EXACTLY what this thread is for, for those of us who are down and don't want to depress everyone else. Let's make this a safe place for anyone to be whoever, whatever we are - depressed, sad, stressed, lonely - together. Together I know we'll get each other through.

I've struggled with the decorating part of holidays ever since Mom died. It was Lynnie who helped me resolve that last year (though I do still dread having to do it, but I think I've learned that it's the overwhelming energy drain that I dread the most). Lynnie doesn't know it, but her "light and love" signature and life motto sparked something in me and has become my own self-propelling mantra. I incorporated that into my home decor - I've simplified and decluttered, and only a few choice knick-knacks/decorations stay out - every single thing that is displayed anywhere in our house represents either light or love (or both). The change has been very welcome. Our home feels warm and welcoming, and my "light and love" environment surrounds me with serenity and peace in the midst of all the other chaos going on.

I'm going to do that with my Christmas decorations too - put only a few favourite pieces out that speak "light and love" (actually, everything will pretty much focus around the nativity set.) That way, it not only keeps it from being burdensome and exhausting to decorate, but will hopefully bring joy and calm, because it will help me to keep my focus on what's important to me - the light and love of my God, family and friends.

Edited by Eagle Heart (11/28/06 05:22 PM)

(Maya Angelou)