I've stated this before in another forum but I'll put my two cents worth in again. I think when women left the home to join the work forces, it opened their eyes to the fact that they had opportunities and choices too, and were not bound to the home or a bad marriage. There were tons of women who were abused, mistreated, and cheated on within their marriages, and some who had simply made the wrong choice as far as their marriage was concerned and wanted out.

Many discovered they could stand on their own two feet. And did. They left. Some men could not handle the transition of wife/housewife and subservant to breadwinner, some surpassing their husbands income amount and thus, more problems.

These are general statements and of course they don't apply to women everywhere, nor do they address every divorce issue, but as more and more women ventured outside the home, they took advantage of the opportunities out there and progressed...some finding out they did not need to stay in a marriage that was not healthy.

Ladies...I am not saying this is a good thing, or a bad thing, just some things that contributed to the increase in divorces.

Last, I would say that as more and more people were divorced, society became more use to it, and eventually accepted it as the norm...it became commonplace until you would be hard pressed to find a family nowadays that hasn't been touched by it.

In my opinion, divorce has become as much an opportunity as getting married. And I think that's sad. Young people think "if it doesn't work out, we can always get a divorce." If you ask me, that attitude is strike one going into a marriage.