I am amazed to find this thread. I apparently belong to a very secret society. lol I have worked full time since the age of 15. Full time night nursing eventually became a way for my husband and I to raise our son without outside help.

When my son was almost grown, hubby had a midlife crisis and ran off with some young chickadee. What a shock! I spent time at home emotionally recovering from that trauma. After marrying a wonderful man I met on the Internet, I went back to full time working, this time in the corporate environment, until my job was deleted after 911.

I thought my 37 years of full time work would provide me with an independence unknown to many women in the fifties. Nope. I had put hubby #1 through college, acquired a lifestyle better than my parents had, spent quality time with my child while he was growing up, all the while working full time (mostly nights.)

When my hubby #2 said, "Don't you think it's time to make YOU a priority?" I was elated.

So I have been at home since 2001, enjoying personal pursuits I never had time for over the years. Yes, I make the bed every day. I do the laundry, shopping, bills, menu planning, etc. No, I do not do "immaculate housekeeping." Life is too short for that. lol We are not wealthy, but due to my diligent budgeting, we eat out a couple nights a week and have no credit card or auto debt. I miss the comradery of co-workers, but I can get a semblance of that online. I volunteer here and there, and listen to some friends mark their time to retirement.

When people find out I have no childcare duties at home, they ask, "What do you do all day?" I answer, "I worked full time at many jobs over the course of my life, one even a paid position. Now it is my time for me."

Online shopping, books, exercising, educational courses, hobbies, TV.....Each day is different. And if something happens where I must get back to the daily grind of full time outside employment, at least I'll have had this time for me.

Signed, A Very Happy Full Time Boomer Homemaker