jawjaw,

I don't know enough about the Yates case to comment, but, I would say that someone suffering with an anxiety disorder or mood disorder (panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, agoraphobia, social phobia, general-anxiety disorder, post-trumatic stress disorder, depression)in most instances violence against another is not an issue.

In most cases when someone commits a violent act,especially against someone they love, and they are dignosed as mentally ill, it is discovered they are suffering from schizophrenia. Occasionally someone with bi-polar disorder, left untreated, can spiral into delusional behavior. Most often the violence is linked to these dilusions.

However, as I mentioned earlier, there is an arm of obsessive-compulsive disorder known as "specific obsession" which basically is the "fear" that you will somehow lose control and commit some terrible act against a child or loved one. Or act inappropriatley or the recurrence of inappropriate sexual thoughts or imagery. It's a real drag...I know, I struggled with it terribly for a few years. I didn't even want to be alone with my children. But, this is not the same as delusional thinking.

Unlike the delusional thinker, the OCDer realizes that these thoughts (fears) are coming from their own mind, they do not believe they are being "sent messages" from somewhere else. Also, the OCDer finds these thoughts repugnant, and is terrified of acting on them. This is not true of someone experiencing delusional thoughts.

Unfortunatley, often people suffering with this type of OCD don't seek help, because they are afraid to say their fears outloud. I took me a long time. A real help was Claire Weeks book, "Hope & Help for your Nerves." It was the first time I saw an explanation of this type of disorder in a book and it was liberating. Because when there is a name, there is a treatment!

jawjaw, I hope this answers your question.

Diane,
The latest statistics on panic attacks and gender suggest that 2/3 of those DIAGNOSED with panic attacks are women. So, actually, that is a lot of men.

According to professionals, the most common form of self-medicating for those struggling with anxiety is alcohol abuse. It is believed that many alcoholics have been self-medicating an anxiety or mood disorder for years, sometimes a lifetime (as, I believe was the case with my grandfather).

I think slowly more men are seeking help ( I know almost as many men as women who are being treated for an anxiety disorder).

As I said earlier, we have come a long way in the last decade, but actually, the research on anxiety and mood disoders is still in its infancy.

Good Luck to all!
Jeanne