Jeanne and Julie, I am going to take a chance and post this as I am not sure if it would be getting away from the focus of Boomers. I figure it is worth a try. Here it is.

My grand daughter turned 13 just yesterday. She is a straight A student, has just finished a fictional book, has an award winning poem published and is very outgoing and helpful to everyone. Thats the good part.I sound like I am bragging(maybe I am) but it is important to tell about her strong points before getting to the "weaker " ones?
She lives in Newfoundland, an Island therefore surrounded by water. She won't travel and except for the school bus and car, she is terrified of "other" buses, planes, trains, boats etc. She went to the airport last year to go visit her Dad in Ontario, and refused to get on. She panicked in a bad way. Her Mom didn't force her(good). I asked her to visit me and she said, no, can't fly. I said I will go get you and we will fly together. No, I cannot save her if it crashes, I will be there, but I cannot stop it from crashing. Boats sink, planes crash, trains and buses too.
Yesterday she forced herself on a bus to take a school trip. Same bus, different route. She said Nan, I know it's going to break down....I could have choked someone when I called to wish her Happy Birthday and she JUST GOT IN...the bus broke down (GRRRRRRR)

I live in the US she's in Canada. We are close and speak almost every day. I am going to help her along with Mom . Give me the whole Kit and Kaboodle girls....where do I start, what books, yours too? who can she see. I won't nip it in the bud but it's not too late to start.

Please help guide me. She will be my age some day, and I don't want her to be afraid of much at this age.

I don't want to stray from our boomers fears, so you can PM me if you like.
I am so glad you are here. Why didn't I post sooner?

chick