Hello to All,
I'm Julie Pedersen - the other author of The Panic Diaries. I want to thank Dotsie for featuring our book this month and welcome all of you to share your ideas and experiences with Jeanne and me. I'd also like to take a moment - at the beginning of this Panic Month - to advise anyone out there with panic symptoms to check with their doctor to rule out any underlying physical disorders.
Like Jeanne, I've struggled with panic symptoms since early childhood. I was never able to tell anyone about my symptoms and became Very Good at hiding them, so I imagine that some of you out there might be in a similar boat and I encourage you to jump in and join the discussion. I learned many, many things writing The Panic Diaries - but one of the things that stands out most for me is the amazing number of people around the world who are troubled by this disorder. That, and all the famous people in history (Freud, Darwin, Emily Dickinson to name just a few) who suffered from panic and other anxiety disorders. The point is, if you're someone who suffers from panic, you should know that you are not alone - there are a bazillion people (okay, maybe not quite that many) who are in the same boat with you. That might not help much in the middle of a panic attack, but it's a good thing to remind yourself of every day!
-Julie Pedersen