Dotsie, I think all-inclusives when traveling with kids are a great idea. I'd resisted the all-inclusive route because I'm not a sit-on-the-beach type -- I like to be out in the country tooling around and exploring -- but we had a fabulous experience at the Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I think the trick is to find an all-inclusive that welcomes children and families (some are geared pretty narrowly to couples, mainly young couples), and then to make sure that the property has activities suitable to the ages of your kids or grandkids.

Dana and Adam were 11 and 14 when we went to Sunset Beach, and they met other kids, stayed out late (the property was secure and guarded), overdosed on snacks all day and generally felt pretty free from the old parental reins. Yet, we knew where they were and what they were up to and checked in on them (between endless free cocktails).

I know a young couple who went to Sunset Beach with two toddlers, ages 2 and 5, and they had a wonderful time, as well. The property has a child-care center for young ones, which enabled the parents to have some free time.

I've recommended www.TripAdvisor.com several times during this forum, and it's a great place to get unbiased feedback from actual guests. You'll find all-inclusives here that the slick travel magazines or mainstream travel websites don't feature.

Which Punta Cana resort did you stay at? We'll definitely consider all-inclusives in the future, particularly as the next few years will mean traveling with teenagers, and I'd love to learn about good properties.

And no, you don't go for a gourmet food experience, but then, I'm not a gourmet, so I was happy as a clam with the buffets. No complaints. But if outstanding food is a focal point of your travels, it's probably best not to go the all-inclusive route.