Chatty, I love these ideas. I heard a long time ago that living by a calendar reduces stress, especially when you have lots of balls in the air. I plan preparations dates for events--an evening penciled in to bake cookies for the church cookie exchange, an afternoon for reading prior to making a presentation, etc. And I never to look at my calendar more than a week in advance--unless I need to pack for a trip, in which case I note "Pack for Asheville" or wherever, the week before so I can start getting things together. As I've gotten older, however, I enjoy the sweep of time a bit more. I resist calendars and schedules, except for setting times with clients, because I lived with an appointment book strapped to my wrist for so many years.

I like the idea of using the calendar for Christmas shopping through the year, though.
I'd also add the possibility of keeping a file somewhere, noting what gift you gave to whom. It prevents that embarrassing midlife phenomenon of buying the same thing for the same friend two years in a row! And sometimes it's fun to find a "follow-up gift--" something to match or complement a gift the receiver particularly liked before, or something to complete a set.

I think avoiding malls is the best thing we can do for ourselves. Yes, I know it's un-American, but I support retailers plenty throughout the year, and I don't see the need to do it in December when the entire population of south Georgia converges for a bumper-to-bumper Consumer Fest within a one square mile radius--and how many merry people do you ever see at a mall at Christmas, after all? The collective anxiety that congregates there would be enough to keep me in hot flashes until next July--but I digress.

Dotsie, I think your vision is the best I've heard in a long time. I'm impressed by any mother of teenagers who can pursue a vision anyway. I couldn't even think about much until mine were out of the house and all the repairs were done!

Speaking of which, mine are arriving home for the holidays. I'll answer your questions tomorrow, Jaw-jaw. Good night.