I decided to publish my book with a Print-on-Demand house because:

1. I wanted full editorial control over the work.

2. I wanted to retain all rights.

3. I've seen worthy books go out of print. I knew a POD book would stay available.

4. Publishing houses don't usually promote books beyond the first few months. In the current market, an author is required to do much of her own promotion anyway--unless she's a celebrity, in which case she doesn't NEED the publisher to do a lot of promotion.

5. Pop psychology doesn't fit for me, but it's what publishers often assume that readers want.

My book is selling well. More important to me, it's finding its way into the hands of people who really need it. Publication has created a surge in my therapy and coaching practice--and provided nice opportunities to do women's retreats and speeches. I love doing all that work.

So I come back to the question about creating a vision: My vision was to write and publish a book, and to do more writing and therapy and coaching and teaching. My vision was also to have fun, to write more, and to facilitate others in finding their own gifts and discovering meaning in midlife.

So what do YOU think about this, Georgia? (and anyone else, too!)