Dotsie and Speakermom:
Regarding that copyright thing (and no, Speaker mom, I don't take offense! A good robust conversation is always a good thing! (-:
There have been lots of changes in the copyright laws recently and that's one reason I wrote the first chapter on "fear" and put it first because that fear of plagiarism is almost always foremost on the minds of my students and fellow critique group members. I am not a lawyer and this shouldn't be considered legal advice. But the words "copyright (or the insignia) and the date cover most writers as thoroughly as they need to be covered. The next step is the envelope thing that Dotsie mentioned and the next is registering your copyright with the US government. The whole chapter is dedicated to this subject and the fear that drives the interest in it and I can't rewrite it here; suffice it to say--sort of a bottom line--that if you aren't prepared to sue over infringements (either you can't afford the time or money) then having the most watertight copyright in the world isn't going to help you much. I want my work to be read. I'd like to see your work be read. We can't let worry about plagiarism cripple us. And remember, if someone copied your work verbatim, you not only have to prove that they did it, you also have to prove that they made some money from it in order to make a suit worthwhile. So, why all the fuss? Take the precautions that you feel comfortable with and move on. But a mailed, sealed envelope full of your material is really more protection than you'll ever need. Once you are published, let your publisher worry about anything more "official" than that. Not advice, remember???
(-:
C.