I'm on my way to an instructor's class at UCLA but I wanted to at least open the mail and greet you today. So thank you all for your greetings (and one order on FRUGAL!) I think we're going to have fun.

I'll answer the first letter and then get back to you all later this evening. These are answers to Robin's questions. I pasted them below and answered in caps, sort of conversation style.
----

I haven't written a book yet. I mostly write essays and short stories. I am working on my first novel. I've just started to take my writing seriously. I HOPE YOU WILL CONSIDER TAKING A GOOD, REPUTABLE COURSE IN THE CRAFT OF WRITING. I HAD BEEN A PROFESSIONAL WRITER AND WHEN I STARTED WRITING CREATIVELY IT TOOK ME A LONG TIME TO REALIZE THAT I NEEDED TO LEARN SOME NEW TECHNIQUES! (-: I'm one of those who always wanted to write, but never found the time. Now that my children are older, I'm making the time.
I am going to purchase your book for future reference in the hopes that I actually finish my book and need it.

Do you have any advice for a newbie like myself? OOPS. I GUESS I GAVE IT TO YOU ABOVE. ALSO CRITIQUE GROUPS CAN HELP BUT TRY TO GET ONE WITH SOME REAL PROS IN IT OR YOU MAY GET MISLEADING ADVICE.

Also, how do you feel about publishing articles and stories without pay? HA!! THERE IS A WHOLE CHAPTER ON THIS IN FRUGAL. I BELIEVE THAT NO ONE SHOULD PUBLISH FREE. BUT PUBLISHING IN TRADE FOR A TAGLINE, A SMALL AD, EXPOSURE, A BYLINE, ETC IS AN EXCELLENT WAY TO START BUILDING YOUR RESUME (CLIPS) AND TO START BRANDING YOUR NAME. IF AN ONLINE EDITOR IS WILLING TO GIVE YOU CREDIT--THE MORE ESTENSIVE THE BETTER--THEN THIS ISN'T REALLY FREE, IS IT. BUT MOST PEOPLE LABEL IT AS SUCH. I KNOW THIS IS VERY CONTROVERSIAL AND I SEE THE DRAWBACKS BUT I CREDIT SOME OF MY "FREE" (REALLY BARTERED) ARTICLES INSTRUMENTAL IN MY SUCCESS. Is this a smart way to go, for a beginner to get noticed or do you feel it's a waste of time? TRY TO TARGET YOUR AUDIENCE IN ORDER TO KEEP IT FROM BEING A WASTE OF TIME. AS AN EXAMPLE, IF YOU PLAN TO WRITE ROMANCE, THEN WRITE ARTICLES AND REVIEWS FOR ROMANCE MAGAZINES AND SITES. THAT WAY YOUR NAME WILL BECOME FAMILIAR TO YOUR READERS BEFORE YOUR FIRST BOOK IS DONE. THIS IS WHY I ENCOURAGE BEGINNING WRITERS TO LEARN ABOUT PROMOTION EARLY. THERE IS LOTS THAN YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW AS A BEGINNER AND IT ALL ADDS UP TO A NICE PORTFOLIO OF EXPERIENCE.
----

I'll talk to all of you later this evening. It's nice to be with you!! And please excuse typos. You'll discover soon enough that I'm very casual and dyslexic enough not to be able to see my own mistakes (though I sure enough see everyone else's typos, I have great compassion for them! LOL. )

Best,