It was the oppisite with my husband and myself. He married me, and I had 3 sons. WOW! And he never had children, was never around around small children, and was 12 yrs younger than I am. Being in a physically and mentally abusive marriage (and my oldest abused also) before, I could not allow his not having the right knowledge of raising kids to get in the way, or their being angry he was there paying them attention and doing things for them and not their Dad to hurt him! Talk about a balancing act! After about 9 mos, I sat them all down in the same room, and told them how it was to be and why because of each one of them. If they wanted to discuss it, now was the time, because later was too late.
We decided I would do the decipline (I just didn't think grounding worth it if someone left a glass in their room LOL). My husband was a perfect child to raise out of 4 boys, per his mom, and he expected them to be the same.
In return, I demanded they show my husband the respect he deserved.
I ask if there were any discussion, no one had anything to say. I ended the meeting. To my surprise, they all apologized and hugged. NO, it was NOT always that way! OH my goodness NO! But, it was so much better.

The parent has to take control if anyone is to be respected. They are grown now, but as adults, they have so much respect for my husband and tell him so all the time. They tell him they love him also! So, there is hope during and after childhood!