Everyone has different circumstances and things they have gone through. And not one of us or our children can be fit into a 'cookie cutter' life. when I was 19 my mother started pushing me to get an apartment, it was the best thing for me--however I had a stable home life that I was coming from and knew that safety net would always be there.

In my son's case, he is starting over as much as I am. Mom & dad are split, dad has turned out to be a criminal (how much does that play on the mind of a boy who always looked up to dad?) long-term girlfriend dumped him. It's just going to take time to heal and find a new direction.

Some people need a push, some need time to find their own way. He has made a decision to return to college this fall and knows he wants to go into computer network administration--that's a lot farther than me--at 48 still trying to 'become' a writer who actually makes moeny at my trade.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE! He just called to tell me he passed his entrance exam. He is now officially accepted into the college he chose. He's one step closer to his future. PTL!

JJ, I admire you for giving your son time. I admire any family that maintains an open door--I know some kids abuse it but it's a much colder, scarier and more dangerous world out there than when we were their age. Having a place of safety to retreat to isn't all bad. And it helps keep them from turning to the wrong people for advice and help.