flipperjo: I am glad to have read your perspecive from the side of one who moved away and it touched me deeply. I am the one who began this topic because of the heartache I feel that my son, his wife and our only 3 grandchildren are 1200 miles away from us. I always knew that he made a sacrifice and I told him that he would be the only one giving everything up when he went along with his wife's wishes to move. The difference with your situation is that you moved to where your husband lived. My son moved because his in-laws were retiring there. As a matter of fact all of their children and other relatives settled there as well. Another difference is that you made a point of coming up to visit yours, no matter how difficult, at least once a year. Mine doesn't. It is nearly 4 years since he's last been home. Aside from his brother who can visit, but now rarely does for reasons I won't go into right now, there is his grandmother, who now nearing 90 cannot travel. We have been very good about visiting over the years. While we were working, we used every vacation to go, though it was never easy on us. I absolutely agree that it is a difficult trip for them to make, but there have been times when he could've and didn't. He should have factored this all in when he made the decision to move. Also, we have made suggestions that he at least come up with one kid a year. They would take turns and each would look forward to the trip. He'd get a chance to see the family and friends and we'd get a chance to have them home. Obviously, all would be better, but if it's too hard, this is an alternative. Do you know how it breaks my heart that my grandchildren have absolutely no idea of our house, and will have no memories. It may be that someday we will move down there, but we haven't been able to make that decision yet for so many factors. One thing that I believe you learned, and unfortunately my son is learning, is that the miles never get shorter. Distance is a great divider. We are all becoming so disconnected and detached. I bought a crib when they had their first child, and all the trimmings, and the first two slept in it once each and the third child has never, and is already outgrowing it. Picture the sadness I feel. No family around our tree or table at any holidays. No birthday celebrations with everyone. Well, I've said enough.