I am a real estate agent, and, no, I do not deal with timeshares, but I am quite familiar with them for my own purposes. I own: I do NOT own at one place for one week, though. AND I would never buy direct from the program or place. There is a secondary market that is very inexpensive, especially if you know the program you like. Fairfield has lots of places and an exchange with a larger group as I recall. For cheap purchasing do look at ebay and do an internet search for some of the re-sell clearance houses on the web (which also may list on ebay). I have picked up amazing bargains and all allow me to choose when I go and where. Point systems like VI are great. I also was familiar with at least some of the properties when I purchased. Get very familiar with the program if the system is a touch complicated so that you know you have made a bargain. One of the advantages of timeshare is being able to book a decent place in the high use season - say Xmas week, another is that you know in advance you are going to take a vacation (I need that future bright spot sometimes)