Scorpio, I share your long distance family relationship. I bought my kids a webcam and I am *there* when the grandkids have birthdays or we just wave back and forth.

My granddaughter(age 13) and I chat on MSN or the phone. My grandson (age 4+)and I chat on the phone, yes I call every day, to Canada.

I send a package once a month to grandson and my grandaughter and I shop online(age difference, she knows what she likes). She orders(I limit) and I pay.

I have a brand new grandson and I have a package all ready to go tomorrow. If they see me and hear me and get surprises from me, they won't forget me.

Yes being a grandma long distance is terrible, just terrible but I have found ways to overcome and make the distance shorter. I hope this helps you too.

The packages are just little things I pick up here and there and the phone bill is a package deal...the webcam only cost 19.99 at Walmart.

I visit only once a year and haven't seen my new grandbaby yet....soon I hope.

Two are in Newfoundland and one in Ontario now so I have to plan to do the round trip thing.

Your post touched me and I thought I'd share the little ways I have overcome my yearning for them...they are precious and yes it's amazing how much we can love them, I agree totally.

We can't babysit, attend functions etc...but we can be there in other ways. Hope this helps.

My grandson got a package just 2 days ago...today he asked the postmistress...any packages for me today? Ha ha, see he anticipates getting them from Nanny(that's me. [Cool] )

Now I'm homesick [Wink]
Hugs
chick