I recently received a story for the book about depression. Seems to be something more and more people are battling these days. The article was about a woman and one of her biggest fears is that it will show up in her children.

I have been surprised by the number of teens I hear and know about that are on anti-depressants. While I know there is definitely a place for these drugs (I personally had to take Serzone after a car accident I was in a few years ago due to post traumatic stress syndrome, so I understand the whole chemical component)I am afraid they could be over prescribed just like any other drug. Any thoughts on this?

How do you determine what is clinic depression and what are typical teen angst due to break-ups, not fitting in, etc? Dumb question 'cause I know there are ways for therapists to do this, but do you think pediatricians are prescribing too often, and without therapy. I don't like to see people put on the meds without therapy to help them sort out why they are depressed.

Comments?