I am not involved in US elections but the reference to eating dogs..Anne you covered this well.
My son traveled through Russia / Asia and has many tales to share.One is about a dog being slaughtered in China beside a river...It remains an act of barbaric cruelty to him.obviously for food...he did not eat dog but talks about the food others especially the native people ate in the street.Most people in Thailand eat away from home...pigs brains which are flat like a plate fried eaten as we eat hamburgers...insects deep fried and other mysterious foods.One girl he met had eaten the family cat...abhorant to him who comes from a home that adores the companionship of cats.

People eat what is culturally accepted...
Offal was never on my families menu yet others I knew ate this..I remember seeing pigs feet on a plate in England...I was surprised and a bit put off..In Scotland the national dish haggis is a miss mash of offal all boiled in a sheep stomach...(I dont eat that.)this dish was devised to use up all the odd bits in a poor nations history..