Yonuh,

You bring back memories with your comment about thinking there's money in the account, as long as there are checks in the checkbook. I remember a similar incident with my son - he was about 3 and I was just divorced, and he wanted me to buy him something frivolous. i don't recall what it was.

But I told him I didn't have any money, so his wish would have to wait. He said, "What do you mean, Mommy? Just go to the ATM and get some more..." Aah, if it were only that easy!! LOL.

Now that he's 30, I should remind him of that story someday. He'll probably refuse to believe it ever happened.

Oh, and you're right. I'm sure my Grandfather also gave my Grandmother an allowance. They were quite comfortable, financially.

He was a doctor and they always had a live-in maid as long as my mother was young enough to be living at home. (Later on, they reduced down to having a cleaning lady who came in about three days a week. She came by bus and did all the housekeeping, so my grandmother had time to play bridge, lunch with her lady friends, indulge in her hobbies, and shop.)

I used to love to go to lunch with her at the tea shoppe of one of the local department stores. Fun memories of a totally different time!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com