Well as an Episcopalian, we only had meatless Friday meals during Lent. But my mother was more into the fish sticks and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup.

I have to laugh now, because you'd think she would have had more versatility in her meals since she was a home economist with a specialty in foods and nutrition.

But as I said earlier in this discussion, she never, ever made us pizza. And the only kind of spaghetti she knew how to make was Chef Boyardee in a can -- which is pretty gross compared to the real home made stuff.

I was in college before I ever tasted a taco. And the first time I ever ate lasagna, I was in London (as in the UK).

My mother had a handful of meals that she rotated through, but they were not known for their ethnicity. We'd have meatloaf, homemade macaroni and cheese with chicken and broccoli in it, roast chicken. And at least once a month we'd have (uugh!) liver and onions, and (yum!) pot roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. Also pork chops -- but they were the skinny kind that could be totally consumed in about two bites.

As were many mothers during these times, my mother was the queen of casseroles. A favorite of hers was made with hamburger, green beans and tomato soup -- with mashed potatoes on top.

She also made lamb burgers, which looked just like hamburgers, except made with ground lamb. NOT served on buns, though... They were one of her more special meals.

As with many housewives during the 50s through the 70s, she was quite good at feeding us on a very limited budget.

Who else has memories of dinners - Fridays or otherwise -- when we were growing up?

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com