Wow, Mustang! I'm not sure I have the savvy advice you are seeking.

If I am following this thread properly, you found him on Facebook and asked a question about the whereabouts of a mutual friend. He ignored that question, but conversation is ensuing - and, unless these are PMs, they are happening in a public place.

Am I on track?

Were it me, I would keep it light and breezy and impersonal while still being friendly. And I would not rush to reply and/or reply too often...

So I might say something like, "Isn't FB great for helping old friends stay in touch! It's amazing how long it's been since we served together. Back then I never thought we would get to be this old! Congrats on your two wonderful daughters. Keeping up with them is guaranteed to keep you young.

Overall, life here is good. Just moved to a new state for work so using most of my free time to make new friends and learn my way around town. Still riding when I can. It keeps me sane.

Take care!"

But I am sure you'll get better advice from some of the others here in the forum. I don't have much experience with this sort of communication.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com