Hi Auntshommy, Welcome to the Boomer Women Speak forum!

I do believe we are all headed for encore careers, especially because we are living longer and more and more of us are healthy and vibrant at retirement time -- not interested in just spending our remaining years playing shuffleboard or bingo...

As you are a former teacher who has worked in special ed and interested in working in a nonprofit situation, it seems to me you have loads of options available to you.

One concept that immediately springs to my mind is volunteering as a teacher or teacher's aide. There are so many places where this sort of work is available.

As just one example, my father is involved with a program called the "Children's Dyslexia Center" in Madison, Wisconsin.

This program, sponsored throughout the country by the Scottish Rite masonic organization, is growing, with its purpose being to help children with dyslexia learn to read and write.

As an educator, you most likely know that up to one in five school children in the United States are living with dyslexia.
While dyslexia cannot be cured, it can be overcome.

The Scottish Rite program is unique in that it offers "one on one" professional tutoring free of charge.

I don't know where you live, but doubtless there are similar opportunities for you to assist some sort of educational program in your area - either as a volunteer or in a paid capacity.

Alternately, you could start up a tutoring program of your own - with people paying you for your services. This could be for adults or children.

I could write a book about this topic, but I will stop for now, and see who else has some ideas for you.

Again, welcome to BWS - we look forward to your ongoing participation in our forums.

Anne

Edited by Anne Holmes (05/13/11 10:40 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com