I home schooled my daughter from 6th through 12th grade. It was the best thing I ever did. She is a well rounded, functioning adult who entered college with a 4.0 GPA. I taught her with a mix of high school and college texts. It was daunting but the rewards are great. We have a relationship that is terrific. Did she miss anything social from not attending? No. She already had her friends from the neighborhood, school and those she met at the academy that we attached her to. It more or less warehoused the grades, offered some classes if we wanted, and administered the tests she needed to college entrance. It is such a good way to do it. We were able to use whatever curriculum we wanted. Had to turn in quarterly grades and meet some classes that gave them a private school standing.

As far as socialization, we live in an area where there are so many different nationalities she lacked for none. Matter of fact, she's a young woman who does not see color in people.

My sister is a newly retired teacher from the public system in Florida and glad to be done with it. They are not (anywhere in the US) teaching children anymore. Just teaching to the test.

My grandson will be entering Kindergarten this fall and we are sending him, hopefully, to a private school. He's in a private pre-school this year. Will not put him in the public system as it stands.
www.tidedancer.com