Today is our 37th anniversary. Our marriage was one NOT embraced by my parents, me being 18 and in college...but I met my soon to be spouse in May of 73 - we bloomed a friendship then- and married him in October. We were engaged in August of that year on his birthday. Sadly, our marriage was sort of an elopement, but the town registrar leaked out the news to my parents and all and that was a dicy point.(small town drama!) We were married by a Methodist minister in our town that DID insist and give us the prenup test when we talked to him at that time, and he said he never had seen two people so well suited for one another. I saved those tests, and they are true statements!Still to this day...I think a lot of couples today overthink everything and are not willing to make the sacrafices, that's just me. I just wish everyone else had seen that we were so well suited to one another... Our anniversary is a bittersweet day, I love my husband but hated for the strife it made in our lives...it took my Dad till right before his first grandson arrived 6 yrs. later to make peace, and my Mom took the brunt of it (she supported our decision to much hurt to her, and I will always love her for that so much- she really had a great relationship with my spouse and that was awesome!).
Anyway, my dear man works away most of the time, me here managing and he away doing the same...but our time together is totally precious and the clock ticks with anticipation before he arrives, and meter running when he gets home...but we enjoy every single minute...Some say we have the best of both worlds- it's like a honeymoon everytime he comes home...I beg to object, it's very hard but it's what we have done (even with the kids being little which was very hard- he travelled while I was pregnant and after the sons arrived...but was ALWAYS there for their births...) and what we will do till he retires...That wonderful man sent me 37 of my favorite roses today, and a card that would make you blush to read...I'm a romantic, and he always has been also, and shows it now more than ever! We are more blessed than we know. Isn't it wonderful to find your best friend, marry them (despite the calendar pages and whatall) and spend your time as happily as you can-despite the ups and downs. Granted, and I know this is life as a whole- you don't have EVERY day being the beer and skittles- but boy howdy- you just have to learn how to make a give and take and respect one another, and NO one is perfect, despite our romantic interludes at first- it HAS taken work, and a good portion of intestinal fortitude and forgivedness, and understanding. I think that is the keyword, understanding. He is my heartbeat and I love him still after these many years and so much to deal with. For sure it's been one interesting trip, and hoping for more adventures to come!