I had to have a total hysterectomy when I was 45. It was the best thing that could have happened to me! I had horrible,heavy, painful periods for years. For a time my husband and I did a lot of traveling and it always seemed that half my suitcase was tampons and pads. I sure don't miss any of that! Not having to check the calendar when making plans to see if it was going to be that time, not feeling lousy for 10 days out of the month (the last couple of years before my surgery, I'd have cramps for days before, then the heavy period, then continued pain for days after -- it was awful).
The first year after surgery was a little rough as far as menopause goes. Couldn't take hormones for 6 months because I had so much endometriosis (the cause of all that pain!!) found myself crying a lot and not really knowing why. Then I started on hormones and life got better. Never really had much problem with hot flashes -- insomnia was a problem for a while. I was bound and determined not to become one of those women who has a hysterectomy and uses it for an excuse to gain weight or let myself go. So I've worked hard at staying in shape. I think all that exercise helped with the menopause symptoms (I was an exerciser before the surgery so it wasn't like I made a big change and decided to start working out or something).
YES I definitely feel better than before. Whatever menopausal symptoms I had they were NOTHING compared to what I used to deal with every month, and after 10 years (since the surgery) they're gone now. Like you said -- I feel free to go and do whatever the heck I want.