I've been reading this really off the wall fiction book called Lambs of God by a well known Aussie author (lady) named Marele Day. 1998, Riverhead Books-Penguin Putnam.
It is so different and crazy that it's interesting/entertaining. It's about 3 nuns who've been living in an almost forgotten about monastery on a remote (beautiful) island. Two of them are fairly old, and one is young, as she was an abandoned on their doorstep infant, so was raised by the nuns. They are kept company in their secluded life by a herd of sheep that helps to sustain them (their meat and wool). One day, a priest comes calling, fighting his way through the jungle-like growth that has even further isolated the place. He barely can believe his eyes that there are nuns still living in this mess of a run down compound. His mission is to assess the condition of the land, buildings, and etc., for (what else?) development into a fancy resort, though he keeps this info to himself, making out like he's just there on a social call. The nuns may be old and isolated, but they ain't stupid. Let the contest begin!

It's very entertaining in an odd way, although some of it is rather dark. The women characters are strong, independent, spiritual, practical, smart, unique, rough/tough.

Author website: http://www.olgraymare.com
"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am..."