Thought I'd post a follow-up ........I never did call this gal (and I haven't heard from her, even though she told me she treats herself to coffee at Panera Bread often and said she'd call me so I could join her there now and then, but that's ok).
My gym ran several specials over the holidays (as most of them do since so many people get gung-ho about losing wieght and exercising at the beginning of the year......New Year's resolutions and all that) but I think in her stubborn mind-set she decided she would NEVER join this particular gym and that is fine by me! I've been going there a long time and plan on continuing my membership there for a long time and I don't need the hassle of somebody that I referred to becoming a member being known as a pain in the you-know-what by all the employees......and I truly do feel that it's her loss, she's missing out, but that is her choice. I figure maybe she hasn't called me because she thinks I'm going to try to push her to get a membership and if she doesn't know me better than that, so be it. I'm sure I'll run into her again someday and won't be surprised to find out that she ended up not joining any gym because nobody would give her the deal she wanted!!