My friend Jody died at 2:30 this afternoon. She had survived breast cancer and at least 5 metastases since 1992.

Several months ago, Jody's spirits were up. She was finally able to eat soft/solid food after 8 months of liquids only.

Every time she had another metastasis, I'd think "this has to be it" but Jody never gave up. She'd say "I survived this far, I'm going to beat it again." And every time she did.

10 days ago, she was doing fine during the day but by nightfall was very very tired. The next day she didn't get out of bed. A few days later, she was barely conscious and unable to speak or eat.

Another friend called her house Sunday, to remind Jody that our exercise group was having its bi-monthly dinner on Tuesday. Jody's husband told my friend about Jody's condition. When my friend said she wanted to visit, he said, "No she's too tired, she might not even recognize you."

So I got on the phone with her husband, and when he said Jody was too sick for visitors, I said "I know. And we want to say good-bye."

Every time Jody got sick or had a trip to the hospital, I'd called all the gals in our group to make sure they visited. We'd take several trips with a few gals every time, bringing cards and flowers. When she was too sick to go out for several months last summer, I made sure that there were gals visiting her every single week.

This time I called to tell everyone that this was it. If they wanted to say good-bye, they had to do it soon.

I went on Monday with two friends. Jody was hooked up to tubes for pain medicine. The 3 of this said "Hi, this is --" and whatever else we wanted to say. Jody tried to open her eyes once. We're not sure if she knew we were there or not.

We sat in her bedroom for 10-15 minutes, and then went into the living room to talk to her husband for another 1/2 hour. All her organs were shutting down and she had congestive heart failure (this week.)

A gf called me at 3:30 today to say that she just called Jody's house and Jody had passed. She and I divided the phone list of our friends. It took me 2 hours before I could call anyone.

Jody will be missed. I'm still a little numb.

Poet and essayist