I need to vent...you know my hubby, Larry, is one of the sweetest guys on the planet...yeterday was Father's day. He FINALLY received cards from his oldest son G and the grandkids, which delighted Larry to no end. Larry's middle child (son...25 years old), LW and his daugher D (30 years old), did not send him a card, no gift AND no phone calls, despite the fact that they live within 15 minutes from here. Larry kept his phone with him and would check it once in awhile to see if he'd missed their call. He got called to work around 7:00 p.m. and when I called him at 10:30 p.m. he had not received a call from LW and D. He is hurt and heartbroken.
I have finally had enough of these two adult children only coming around when they think it's going to benefit them, which is normally, Christmas, when they come for the 'family' party. They show up a few days later to pick up their loot of presents we give and walk away without giving their dad not so much as a christmas card.
Last night I told Larry that this year Christmas gifts will not be given to D and LW. They've ignored Larry's birthday, and Father's day for two years or longer. Last year I called them on Father's day evening to remind them , 'hey, it's Fathers' day...give your dad a call." D sent him an ecard (no phone call), and LW just ignored my request and didn't do anything.
Larry's step-sons (my boys) called him and sent him emails and got him a gift-card for his favorite store. Even Ray's girlfriend sent Larry an email wishing him a happy Father's day.
I should not be surprised that this continues to happen but it burns me up to see the hurt look in Larry's face each birthday and Father's day without a word from two of his children. What I don't understand is LW has called him often lately for Fatherly advice on how to work on a truck LW is working on...so, it's not like they're estranged from one another.
D is just selfish...in her own world, wrapped up in her own importance...she'll drive to within 3 miles of here to see friends and Larry's mom but she won't step a foot here to see her dad.
Larry told me a month ago he wanted to have a BBQ aroudn the 4th of July...it's going to be the last weekend in June because of everyone's schedules.LW is supposed to be here and we don't know about D yet (she's got to see if her work at wal-mart will interfer or not). I love my larry but part of the problem he has is he's so afraid of the kids getting upset with him that he's allowed them to pretty much do what they want/or not want and he is the one with hurt feelings.

Question..should Father's day be brought up in front of everyone or should I talk to them in private and ask them 'did you forget Father's day? do you care that you hurt your dad?" I'm going to say something, so don't try to talk me out of it...I just need guidance in when/how I should do this.
UGH!!!