If I asked some of my neigbours this question they would have other answers.Most are farmers or secretary to their husband.Music reachers in their homes.Interior designers.
One important thing for me was trying to blend into those who were at home.Those older ladies who do coffee mornings and gossips.It was not for me.
One dear friend an English teacher lost her adult daughter to cancer shared this with me...I do what I want now... Life is precious.We decided together that when the coffee days were more like Calendar Girls..then we would be in the middle.
I found many of the age 80's women saw me as a young thing.. there to be hostes sweep the floor and bake.Pick them up etc.I took one lady to hospital and they kept her.So for two weeks I visited...washed and assisted.Whilst her sons went on holiday.I did this willingly but how soon people forget..When my own husband was ill she did not even inquire how he was.Likewise my own hospital stay.Selfish people grow older like the rest of us and this led me to believe I should protect myself.I had to learn this..
Not being at work means re creating a circle..one which is acceptable and kind.I have done this.
MA