Oh Jane...I am with you honey on this one!!! Mum had many strange ways indeed(at least thats what I thought as a kid!)
She was a beautiful woman and a lady, her and my Dad cut a very handsome couple indeed. She had a routine where she would do household chores, grab a coffee and sit in a chair facing the window and telly... then out would come these mysterious things called 'tweasers' and a little mirror. I never actually saw her with chin, upper lip or excess eyebrow hair for years...then slowly the mystery unravelled!! EEEWWWW...I was grossed....being the only fair skinned lighter haired on of the family(the rest being very dark)...I thought I would have escaped the tweaser thing. My Mum was a 'creaking gate' for most of my later years and she would be in and out of hospital all the time....thee most important thing to her was her tweasers!!!(Even when she couldn't breathe!!!)
John Wayne used to say in his older movies..'Don't let me die with my boots on'....mums version was about tweasers and she MEANT it!!
I have to confess...when I was in High shcool...we had a head nun who shaved her chin and neck...she had five o'clock shadow and all. She was pretty awful to me and tonns of other gals...so instead of outright naughty behaviour, or challenge...I would sometimes sneak into her office during break tmes and leave shaving foam and the likes with nasty notes attatched!!!
So...I guess this is payback!!
Thank the godess of hair removal products...eh. I once heard Oprah making a comment which cracked me up...she was chatting about the aging process and made a throw away comment about..'stray pubes making their way to her chin and multiplying....like, whats with that!!!'
Laurel...hair removal products are fab...without them I would be grossed pretty regularly.

Po
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love