Actually you all might find this really interesting because the people I work with range in age from 75 to 25. (I'm the baby.) Actually there isn't a baby-boomer among us. I do believe it is a generational thing, but I believe it is actually something I learned from the older people I work with. My boss, who is in his 70's, is definitely of the philosophy that it all gets done and there is no need to stress over it. I think he is wiser about what is more important in the work place and in life, and we benefit from it. I believe we all value the fact that where we work understands that sometimes being away from the office to take care of the things we need to take care of in our lives makes us more productive when we are at work.

Another fun thing about my job. Although he ended up not taking it, a co-worker of mine would have been allowed to take two months "paternity" leave when his baby was born. Some of it unpaid, but still. Does anyone else know of places where not only moms, but dads can do that? The reason why he could do it is becuse federal law doesn't specify that it has to be because you gave birth that your employer must give you the opportunity to take extended leave witout losing your job. A woman who worked here several years ago took it when she adopted.