The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 75 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93306 - 10/26/06 10:48 PM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Just tell these controling busybosies (Nope, spelled correctly) they can have Christmas BUT Thanksgiving is 'yours.' Put your foot down on this one and good for you! Hah, peasnut butter, love it.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#93307 - 10/28/06 12:34 PM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, what would they prefer for Thanksgiving dinner?

#93308 - 10/28/06 01:00 PM Re: Holiday Stress
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hubby's family prefers fondue over anything else, you know, where you keep a sauce boiling in a special pot on the table and everyone sticks their forks in and cooks their own food? At Christmas we usually serve beef, chicken and shrimp for the fondue, and so far, that's been everyone's favourite (including my turkey-loving brother!)

So if we were ever going to do a Thanksgiving dinner, they'd probably prefer fondue or maybe a ham. We usually serve a big spiral ham at our 2nd Christmas dinner on the 27th (when my other brother and 2 nieces are here). We used to have fondue on the 25th (with hubby's family) and the turkey dinner on the 27th (with my family), but it meant that hubby and I were in the kitchen all afternoon while the gift exchange was going on, so everyone asked us to change the menu to something simpler so we could be a part of the festivities, which was very sweet of them, and we were very happy to comply (especially since one niece is vegetarian and the other doesn't like turkey anyway!)

I think my brother (the one with cancer) came up with the perfect solution - we have the fondue for the 25th, the ham for the 27th, and then we have our turkey dinner just for ourselves later on in the year.

(Maya Angelou)

#93309 - 10/28/06 01:06 PM Re: Holiday Stress
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
One year, when my kids were litte, they decided they were sick of turkey and wanted chicken on Thanksgiving. When my son went to school and told the teacher he had chicken, she kept telling him, "No, you had turkey." Of course, he kept insisting his mother made chicken. I had to call her and tell her we did, in fact, have chicken. I think she thought we couldn't afford turkey or something.

Growing up, we had the typical Italian Thanksgivings that someone else mentioned with the pasta (only it was called macaroni then and the turkey. When my kids were growing up, I made turkey (except that one year) and my mother-in-law made raviolis and we had both.

Now, I make just the usual turkey dinner and it's more than enough. Sometimes we go to my daughter's and her m-i-l cooks a turkey and I BUY a ham and she cooks it and we have both. This year, I'm doing Thanksgiving so it will be just us and my kids. His kids may come later for dessert.

It can become stressful trying to split ourselves up with the who is having what holiday and who is going where that comes from extended families, kids getting older, US getting older. We've had to change some of our traditions and begin some new ones. Now with kids getting married and having other "parents" to visit, we have to be flexible and adjust. It's not easy. And this is not even touching upon the shopping part of the holidays.

But I do love Christmas and I'm praying that this year will be joyous with the two new grandchildren we have and the anticipation of my daughter's baby due in January. Last year was not.

Batten down the stress hatches, shop early, (do as much online instead of in line as possible) and Happy Holidays to all my boomer sisters!

Louisa

Edited by Louisa (10/28/06 01:09 PM)

#93310 - 10/28/06 08:56 PM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: Louisa]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Eagle you can make a turkey, let it cool and cube it, thats right, cut it up into cubes...perfect for a fondue, and you can put a kind of turkey gravy in the fondue if you'd like to. I think your brother has the perfect idea however... Whatever you do,I hope it is a happy holiday for all concerned. That goes for all my wonderful Boomer sisters.

#93311 - 10/29/06 04:13 PM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, I love fondue. We have a great restaurant called The Melting Pot. You get meats, veggies, fruits, and desserts to dip in all kinds of delicious sauces. Yummy. DO youever have strawberries, pound cake, and/or brownies to dip in chocolate and/or caramel?

Chatty, I like your solution for Eagle. Why not?

Louisa, I don't buy much online, but I am going to take advantage of your advice. What are some of your favorite online stores?

Also, babies make all the difference in the holidays. WE have a couple little ones in the family now, and they make all the difference in the world. Two of them will be here for Halloween. I can't wait.

#93312 - 10/30/06 09:04 PM Re: Holiday Stress
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I believe that too much emphasis is put on holiday 'food.' What about just gathering together in love. Sharing ideas, plans and stories of whats happening in our lives. Seems to me food becomes the most important item when we have nothing in common anymore. Food is warm and comforting but when it becomes a matter of discention then something is wrong with the importance being given it. Sound crazy, maybe it is, was just thinking out loud....Want something good food wise, go check the Favorite Recipe section today.

Edited by chatty lady (10/30/06 09:07 PM)

#93313 - 10/31/06 12:05 AM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I went Christmas shopping today with my daughter. We got so much done with the mall empty on a workday and this early. No lines, no waiting. Plus, we bought a lot of gift cards which made it so much simpler. Not a lot of bags and heavy bundles to carry. I got a few mall gift cards and some at the Disney store. My sister-in-law and her husband are coming to Disney with us in May so it's a nice gift card for them. Their other one I will buy online - either to a restaurant in disney or Foxwoods. I found a CVS at this particular mall that had all kinds of gift cards. What a find. American Express gift cards, Visa gift cards, Hotels, such as the Marriott & Hyatt, restaurants, Home Depot, Babies R Us, airlines, movies. Just tons of great gift cards. I got two good ones for my husband, one for each of my stepchildren and one for my daughter. It saved me running to 3 other places and using up my gas and time.

Dotsie, I don't shop online that much either, but I am buying a couple of gift cards online for friends and family. Last year I got them gift certificates to the gambling complex, Foxwoods, as they both go there frequently. Didn't have to go out and shop. It was nice. I know a lot of people shop at Best Buy online. At this rate, I will be done early, which is good. We sent the baby shower invitations out today. I have a lot to do. I can't believe we're about a month away from the shower.

Louisa

#93314 - 10/31/06 11:31 AM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Louisa, you are so on the ball. Good for you.

Our CVS has the gift cards too. Whoever thought of that idea is a genious! can you imagine how easy it would be if you didn't care about pcicking out that perfect gift? You could go to CVS and do ALL your Christmas shopping in one little visit. Amazing.

#93315 - 10/31/06 04:58 PM Re: Holiday Stress
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Oh my Louisa, and I thought I was organized! I can't begin to even think of Christmas...not till Thanksgiving is over.
I'm sure you avoid the last minute stress that way. Gee, maybe I should start shopping.
Hannelore

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved