The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#93117 - 11/16/06 10:55 PM Re: Plans and Publishing [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I wasn't clear. My agent wrote the query for the publishers he sent my ms to. I did my own marketing plan and explained how I would work with my publisher to get the book out into the world. I speak a lot and have a website, which was very helpful.

Reviews attract me to books. I have little tear sheets in my purse in case I happen upon a book store. It's so easy to forget otherwise. I have neck problems so it's almost impossible for me to scan the shelves with my head tilted sideways.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#93118 - 11/17/06 01:44 AM Re: Plans and Publishing [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Cover designs, color, something on the cover (usually a picture) that leaves me thinking, "what's inside this book?"

Like if I saw a cover that had a little girl standing in the middle of a busy highway looking back over her shoulder, I would probably pick the book up to see what was inside. Did her Mom just leave her? Was she abandoned? What? SEE?

If a cover is busy all over, I'll pass it buy. If it is overpriced in my mind, I won't take it off the shelf.

#93119 - 11/17/06 11:21 AM Re: Plans and Publishing [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Allison, i would love to hear more about your God ALlows U-Turns books.

What gave you the idea to begin this series? When did you publish the first book? Do you gather all the stories and edit them? Are you collecting stories for another book?

FYI: I tried to learn some of this on your site, but the links that would tell me more about this project didn't work. If you want to know which links I'm talking about, email me and I'll be happy to cut and paste cut and paste for you.

By the way, I think the idea for this project is brilliant. I am a firm believer in our stories healing others. You go girl! You are doing your share to make disciples of all men. God is using you in a powerful way. You are so wise to listen. Just think of all the hearts you have turned toward Christ.

Edited by Dotsie (11/17/06 11:23 AM)

#93120 - 11/17/06 10:31 PM Re: Plans and Publishing [Re: Edelweiss]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I look at the title first. See how it grabs me. Then it's the cover of the book. If I'm still interested, I'll flip it over and read the blurb. That's about it. I'll take it if I'm intrigued.

I pick up a lot of my books on Amazon.com as well. And I read the reviews to help me determine if I want to buy the book.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#93121 - 11/18/06 02:20 AM Re: Plans and Publishing [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hannelore, you could always get the Oprah book club info from the web site. What makes me buy a book? word-of-mouth. I have a limited reading menu right now. I mostly read memoirs and self-help on such entertaining topics as sexual assault, domestic violence, and suicide. I want to know HOW people overcome adversity. Covers don't mean much to me. "A Million Little Pieces" had a cover that pictured the insides of capsules of meds coming out all over the place. While I enjoyed the colorful imagry, the cover had nothing to do with picking up the book. I do read reviews in Time, etc. and nowadays I read the readers' reviews on Amazon before choosing a book to buy. But I don't always buy. "Why I Jumped" is on my waiting list at the library. If I bought every book...I do like it when someone gets me out of my comfort zone of reading and sends me a novel that is not psych or soc related. I was in a Christian mega book store this week. There were a lot of cross over titles.

#93122 - 11/18/06 02:20 PM Re: Plans and Publishing [Re: Princess Lenora]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'll pick a book up because of the cover...but it's the back cover and what's inside that counts!

I've learned over the years to flip through and read some of the actual text to see if it is a style that will engage me. Reviews will tempt me, but I've bought too many books that other people loved and I hated to rely on them.

I will usually buy a book if I've seen or heard the author and liked them.

#93123 - 11/18/06 02:42 PM Re: Plans and Publishing [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Thanks for the tip Louisa, I'll surf through Oprah's site. Does anyone go by what books she recommends? Have you been disappointed or was it everything she promised it to be?

JJ, if I saw a book jacket like that, I'd pick it up too. That's an awesome idea. Wow, you should write a book according to that jacket. It might make the best "picked up book" on the market.

#93124 - 11/18/06 08:50 PM Allison Checking In... [Re: Edelweiss]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Loc: Minnesota
Good afternoon ladies!

Just want y'all to know I didn't fall off the planet. I'll be back online later today or tomorrow to respond to recent questions. Have a blessed day to one and all!

#93125 - 11/19/06 05:46 AM Re: Allison Checking In... [Re: Allison_Bottke]
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I just read this entire thread. It's SO informative and challenging!

Allison, you have a heart for sharing your faith which inspires me. Thank you for your openness and willingness to help us along the road toward publication.

I'm going to Mount Hermon next March (I won a full scholarship! Yay!) and wonder if you might be there.

I'd have to say that I'm an impulse book buyer. If the cover catches my eye, I flip it over to read the back. If it's nonfiction, I look for credentials. If it's fiction, I look for credits. I buy a lot of books at Sam's Club, and have a Wishlist on Amazon. Alas, my stack of books to read is growing, and budgeting my time is always an issue.

Glad you were featured! Fun!

#93126 - 11/19/06 10:50 PM Re: Allison Checking In... [Re: DonnaJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Allison, you take your time dear friend. We know you give us 100% when you are here. You're doing a terrific job.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved