The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#93107 - 11/13/06 08:43 PM Re: Agents and Book Signings [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I had an agent who did all of this for me so I would like to also know more. Thanks for all of your detailed replies. You're doing such a great job.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#93108 - 11/13/06 11:32 PM Re: Agents and Book Signings [Re: jawjaw]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Allison, thank you for sharing this enlightening information and your valuable time. I wrote a nonfiction book and spent one year sending proposals to publishers. It's about oral health and is a hard sell. They didn't want this book but asked about others I may have so I think my pproposal was good. I'm going the self-publishing route rather than do nothing at all because I want to help people. Any suggestions?

Don't worry about JJ and her use of threats and talk of capturing agents. JJ, are you armed?
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#93109 - 11/14/06 01:13 AM Re: Agents and Book Signings [Re: Saundra]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Allison, could you please add some talk on print-on-demand such as Authorhouse? Would you recommend that to Hannelore? Saundra, how far have you come in your self-publishing efforts? Allison, have you heard of how an author can move a book from POD to mainstream marketing? I wish that more writers would invest money in editing before they go POD or self pub. I see way too many self-published books with way too many typos. This has given the POD business a bad name. On the other hand, I used POD because I had been diagnosed with cancer. It was my life-goal to get TEARS out into the world in the hopes that it would benefit others. I had done the agent/publishing Catch 22. When I learned I had cancer, I wanted immediate results for publishing in case I didn't make it through the cancer. But I did make it...and now I am writing another memoir about the cancer experience. So, enough about me. What do you think re: POD & SP?

#93110 - 11/14/06 01:49 AM Re: Agents and Book Signings [Re: Princess Lenora]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Lynnie, I'm with Dogear Publishing (POD) and waiting for the first proofs (two weeks to go). I didn't want to wait any longer either. I have something I want to share and am willing to put my money where my mouth is (no pun intended). I did tons of research and liked Dogear best after reading all of the contracts. Yes, I went through several editing processes.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#93111 - 11/14/06 07:44 PM Re: Agents and Book Signings [Re: Saundra]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Allison,

I'm very interested in the business plan as well. I went the subsidized publishing (The Author's Press) route as well and do not have an agent at this point.

I had my manuscript professionally edited prior to submission and then they did additional line editing. I was like you girls...anxious...I haven't regretted my choice.

#93112 - 11/14/06 07:48 PM Re: Agents and Book Signings [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I didn't go subsidy publishing, but I am published with a small press publisher. One thing they don't have is the resources to put a lot of marketing behind each book. They'll send out a press release and submit your book for review to wherever you'd like. But, that's about it. It's my job to market and promote my book. I've taken some great promotions classes and learned a whole lot about marketing books and myself as an author.

I'd be interested in hearing about your business plan as well.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#93113 - 11/15/06 10:01 PM Re: Agents and Book Signings [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Vicki,

My publisher does the same thing with press releases and they have helped with a couple of events. From what I've learned, the author has to do most of the marketing unless they are a really big name, even if they are with a major publisher.

I am learning a lot of self-promoting as well...like it or not!

#93114 - 11/16/06 12:53 AM Re: Agents and Book Signings [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Loc: Minnesota
Ladies...

So sorry I have been absent...I'll be back online very early tomorrow morning and plan to answer EVERY outstanding question in detail.

Blessings!

#93115 - 11/16/06 01:47 PM Plans and Publishing [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Loc: Minnesota
Good Morning Ladies!

Let’s start with Hannelore’s post on 11/13…

#1. Thanks…but no thanks...on being a Literary Agent. (smile) Although I love the process of writing and helping other writers to develop their talent…I do not love the major reason a person needs an agent in this day and age. And that is to negotiate a good (and legal) contract. The intricacies of contract negotiation require a mind able to understand figures, percentages, profit margins, rights, and the ever-changing industry standards. Knowing all of this (and more) is what makes a good agent. In any business, writing or otherwise, we must know our strengths and when to delegate or hire other professionals to handle other aspects of our business. It’s funny how writers think they should “do it all,” including editing their own work, agenting their own contracts, designing their own covers, and distributing their own books. Sure, it’s okay to be a multi-tasker…and many women are very good at this. However, it takes a wise woman to know when her time and energy is best utilized elsewhere...and to be willing to get help.

#2. On 11/13 Da Queen asked more questions about my business plan. I’m going to start out with commenting on what she said about hesitating to call it goal setting because that “screams of work.” And, my dear jaw-jaw, while I understand the jest with which you shared those words (smile) I’m here to say that writing and publishing is NOT for the weak…it is very hard work. To succeed today…in the competitive market where literally thousands of new books hit the bookstore shelves each and every month…you’d best be willing to work hard. Period.

And that means knowing what your goals are…and establishing a strategy to reach those goals. It’s funny how we’ll get out the Atlas to plan a road trip, or log on to Map Quest to get detailed directions to get from point A to point B in a timely and direct manner…but we don’t think about developing some kind of road map (aka: Business Plan) to help us get where we are going career-wise. Instead, we wander aimlessly, taking wrong turns, circuitous routes, and often hitting dead ends. Something to think about, eh?

I learned strategic planning in my fundraising and development career. I took classes, read books, and attended seminars. Today, there are countless books available and the online resources are mind-boggling. Your business plan can be as detailed as you want it to be. Mine is a 5-10-15 year plan started in 2000. I teach a class on strategic planning for writers. In fact, I have an audio CD available on this. Even better yet, I will be conducting a series of teleseminars in the coming month on this very topic. When you have a minute, ladies, please visit my web site and scroll down to the bottom of the home page and sign up to receive my periodic newsletter. You’ll have to confirm your subscription request so make sure to check your email for the reply confirmation after you sign up. I’ll be letting folks know about my writing teleseminars in the coming weeks. Have no fear, you will NOT be inundated with newsletters or messages from me and I never sell or share my mailing list.

#3. On 11/13 Dianne said, “I had an agent who did all of this for me.” Are you serious? You had a literary agent who developed your business plan for you? Perhaps I misunderstood you? Typically, a Literary Agent does not develop an author’s business plan. Nor do they work on promotional or marketing plans…that is not their job. Most agents have many clients and doing this additional task would make it pretty tough to do their jobs as literary agents. Plus…that is usually not their expertise. Sure, an agent will help you to discuss your long range goals, and they must know what your long term plans and goals are so they can best represent you. But I’ve never heard of a literary agent developing a personal business plan for an author. Tell me more, Dianne!

#4. Saundra shared her publishing experience regarding her book on oral health and right away I can see that this in a very specific “niche market.” Publishers today have a bottom line formula for seeing if a book will cash flow and specific niche markets are a tough sell. Have you thought of connecting with the American Dental Association to see about developing a partnership with them? Self Publishing (SP) and/or Print on Demand (POD) may be excellent ways to go with a project like this…but you still have the issue of distribution avenues once you get the book published. That is why a “speaking platform” is especially valuable in any niche market books.

#5. Lynnie asked about SP and POD and I agree with you about wishing that more writers would hire professional editors! The level of work being produced by what used to be called “Vanity Presses” has increased exponentially with the companies available today…but there are still those companies willing to print anything…in any stage. Careful research of SP and POD’s is critical. I judged the Self-Published Book Awards for Writer’s Digest Magazine one year and I was amazed at the variation of quality and professionalism in the books. I personally feel that SP and POD can be a very good way for some writers to go…especially when they have a specific niche market book or when they have a strong speaking platform. For instance, a plastic surgeon I know specializes in treating only patients who have had weight loss surgery. He speaks all over the country to large groups of people on this topic. He could sell a boat load of books to the audience members…but a mainstream publisher would most likely not publish his book because the numbers wouldn’t pencil out.

Someone asked about the potential to have a SP or POD book go mainstream and get picked up by a mainstream publisher. I never want to say never, because there are stories where that does occasionally happen. But they are few and far between. My personal feeling, and again this is not to say I am right or wrong, there are many schools of thought on this and each situation must be looked at specifically…but on the whole I personally feel if a writer has a desire to write and they have talent and passion and they have written a good book that will appeal to a large audience, then I feel they should develop a dynamite book proposal, work to get an agent, and try their best to get a mainstream publisher. If that fails after a concerted effort…then I say go for SP or POD. But again, this does not hold true if you have a very narrow or defined target market or niche constituency.

This also does not hold true if you feel that time is of the essence and you need your book published now. There are so many variables in this crazy industry!

#6. Jane and Vicki asked about the Business Plan again, as well as addressing the issue of publisher resources for marketing a book. This is a hot button topic. For those of us working in the industry, we know first hand the reality of this issue. I am totally clueless why so many new writers have the impression that all they have to do is write the book and readers will come. That once they submit the completed manuscript to their publisher that their work is over. Ha! No way, Jose! It’s only just begun.

The authors working today are all very involved in conducting their own marketing and promotions…that is, the authors who want to build their readership and continue writing. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules, and once you’ve “really made it” (i.e. Danielle Steele, Stephen King, Nicholas Sparks, etc. etc.) you don’t need to conduct a whole lot of marketing and promotions because your loyal readers will buy everything with your name on it.

I would have to say this is the single most defining issue today for new authors breaking into the publishing field. Once you get that first contract how and what do you do to get the word out about your book and thus increase readers and increase sales?

Because, dear baby boomer friends, the cold and cruel fact of the matter is that a major part of the publishing business is about numbers and bottom-lines and cash flow. All business is at some level…and it should be...income and expense is a part of what a business is. I work in the Christian publishing industry, and while the publishers and editors I am blessed to work with have a deep concern about sharing faith with readers…while they often pray with me and have a real concern for my passion and ministry…they are also operating as businesses. Period.

Okay, gals, I think I’ve been long-winded enough for now. Whew! How about if I ask y’all a question? Since we are talking about promotions and marketing, what methods best attract you to purchase a book, and what methods detract you?

And as always…feel free to ask your questions…any questions…I’m here for the month!

Have a blessed day!

#93116 - 11/16/06 03:43 PM Re: Plans and Publishing [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
How wonderful to find someone that leaves no question unanswered. Thank you! And that's why I want to answer your question right away.

When I go into a bookstore just to browse around, it's usually before I'm going on a trip. I'm looking for a book that will entertain me. Whether it's a thriller, travel book, or romance, it doesn't really matter.

The title is obviously the first contact, but for me incredibly important. It should awake my interest enough so that I'll pick up the book, turn it over, dig my glasses out of my horribly over filled pocketbook and read the book jacket. If that's interesting enough, I'll look for a chair and start reading the first chapter. If I like it so far, then I'll leaf through it and read some random page. If everything passes, I'll buy the book.

I love watching book discussion programs on TV. I've bought about 10 recommended books after watching those shows, and they were all hard backs! I don't get Oprah Winfrey, but if I did, I'd probably read what she recommends as well. I've also bought books that were recommended in Time magazine.

What I find very important is if I should order a book over Amazon, I want to be able to read the first pages before purchasing. I always read the comments, and allow myself to be influenced by them.

You have a blessed day too, Allison.

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved