The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 152 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#93137 - 11/22/06 10:24 PM Happy Thanksgiving Ladies from Allison [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Loc: Minnesota
In answer to Dotsie’s question… “Am I right in saying that you weren't a writer when this brainstorm took off?” Sorry, you are not right. I’ve been a writer since I could hold a pencil. Seriously. My first freelance articles were published in Cosmopolitan Magazine, Redbook, Ladies Home Journal, Shape, and others. I also wrote press releases, brochures, funding grants, and a ga-zillion other things in my career as a professional fundraiser. I was also the Playwright-in-Residence for three years at a small theatre in southern California where three of my full length plays were produced. So, I’ve been writing for a very long time. But God Allows U-Turns was my first book project.

In response to your experience, Dotsie, with the baby boomer women anthology…I can understand this, because compilation books are a very hard sell in both the CBA and ABA publishing communities. Unless you are a “Soup” book, chances are you won’t sell enough copies to make it a worthwhile venture for a publisher, at least this is what they tend to think.

What helped me with u-turns was my speaking platform. This is so vital these days when a publisher is considering a first-time author. Can you speak and what is your platform?

I would imagine now that the NABBW site has had its first year anniversary, you are in a stronger place to develop and pitch an anthology. Connect with me off the loop and let’s talk more about this, okay? I have some ideas…

Jane asked a question that gets asked a great deal in the industry and it’s really an easy answer when you give it some serious thought. Think about it…how long does a writer have that “first book” inside of them? Days, weeks, months, years, or decades? I would hazard to guess it is usually, and quite typically, in the category of years or decades.

You’ve had years and years to plot, plan, organize your thoughts, develop your characters and evolve the book. Then suddenly, once it’s published and you are asked to write another book that’s when the stress begins. Do you really have a gift for maintaining and growing a writing career…or did you have one book in your soul that had to come out and that’s it?

This is very common in the industry and it is why so very often a publisher will contract a new author for two books right off the bat. If the first book is a success, they have the author tied up for book number two and if that second book is good as well, then everyone wins. But if it isn’t good…if the author can’t write book #2, or needs a lot more time, or any number of challenges…then this could be a critical time for a career.

I can speak first hand about this. When my agent pitched my first novel to Bethany House (A Stitch in Time) they came back with an offer for two novels. I was ecstatic and scared…what would book #2 be about? I had worked on book #1 for a long time, at least in my mind, but I had no idea what I would write for a 2nd book. I looked at some of my older work-in-progress files and remembered an outline I had for a screenplay concept and used that as the storyline for novel #2. But my publisher had no idea if I could deliver. I had no idea if I could deliver. The book comes out next June and you’ll have to tell me what you think of it…did I deliver? (smile) It’s called: ONE LITTLE SECRET.

Okay ladies, time for me to sign off. I’ll most likely be offline all day tomorrow, and so should all of you! Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday and let’s all count our blessings for living in America and having the amazing opportunities we all have.

May God bless and keep you and yours.

I’ll be back on Friday!

#93138 - 11/23/06 01:16 AM Re: Happy Thanksgiving Ladies from Allison [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Allison, I forgot about your previous writing career. Please forgive.

Thanks for the offer to talk with you offline. I'll take you up on it. I'm working on something with my agent right now that may be the proposal that works. We'll see what God has in store. So far, I trust that nothing I've proposed is exactly what He is calling me to do and I am cool with that. His timing is everything.

After reading your first novel, I look forward to your second.

I still need to touch base with you about buying a few of your books for our church library.

#93139 - 11/23/06 08:00 AM Re: Happy Thanksgiving Ladies from Allison [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Bathbuddys Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hi Allison,
It is me Nancy (the shy one)
I want to know where you were involved in plays in southern California?, as I too, was VERY involved in the community theaters in the area and it would be fun to hear where you were at?

I would also like to know that when you got the idea in your head for your first book, how did you start?

Did you think about it's content first?
Did you think of an beginning and and end?
Or did you pick up a pen and just start writing?
Or did you go right to the computer and bypass the pen and paper?

I have also written for college Magazine, Newspaper, I wrote and directed a play (personal life experiences) and music videos for Domestic Violence and also did one for a hostage situation for a school district there to use for a training video for the police, fire department and SWAT team operations.
It was all to earn money for charity but I did get paid for a couple of them.

I guess sometimes I procrastinate when it is for my own personal growth as I am a new empty nester (hehe).

I could always do things when I needed to do it for my kids.

I raised two sons alone and am a SURVIVOR of a horrible domestic violence situation so I guess I don't have much faith in myself to just start writing!

Thanks for all of your wonderful sharing. This is such a gift to have a chance to hear all of your wisdom.

Nancy

#93140 - 11/24/06 10:32 AM Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wow, Allison I feel like I'm reading posts from the Martha Stewart of the writing world. What great perspectives.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#93141 - 11/24/06 01:10 PM Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Allison, I know what a busy lady you are so I'd love to hear about your writing schedule.

#93142 - 11/26/06 04:14 PM Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED!
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Allison,

You are so right...I got my first book out and thought I would rest on my laurels...but no way Jose! I was immediately immersed in writing not one but 2 books...I guess that's what they mean by striking while the iron is hot!

#93143 - 11/28/06 12:39 AM Allison's back! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Loc: Minnesota
Greetings Ladies!

I’m back! (Does anyone else think of Jack Nicholson in The Shining when you hear those two words? I must be sick. Ha-ha, no comments from the peanut gallery, ya hear?)

I’ve been burning that crazy candle at both ends (again) this time I’m trying to learn a new software technology where I can record audio programs on my computer and convert them to MP3 files and offer them as downloads on my new web site that will launch in January.

Oh! That reminds me. Ladies, if you are not already signed up to receive my FREE e-zine, please visit my web site soon and sign-up, okay? The format of the e-zine is going to change and we will be sending out an announcement in a couple weeks. I sure hope to have all of you gals on the list…okay? Go here to sign up: www.godallowsuturns.com –End of Commercial Announcement.-

Okay…back to the Forum…

Dotsie, I’m sending you books for your church library. And thanks for the kind words about looking forward to my second novel. It’s written in a different POV, I’ll be anxious to hear what you think.

Nancy…the theatre was in Santa Ana and it was called THE WAY OFF BROADWAY PLAYHOUSE owned by Tony Reverditto. It is no longer in that location. Did you know of it? I also went to school at Cypress College in the Theatre Arts Department – a great program!

As for the ideas for my first novel, it was first conceived as a screenplay (read my forum posting #98464 dated 11/7 @ 3:12 PM) but many of the story ideas came from my life. Having had weight loss surgery I thought it would be a kick to write about a character that had the same surgery but lived a totally different life from mine. I also gave her a profession I once had, so I had a lot of material from which to draw upon. I did develop a chapter by chapter outline before I sat down to write the book. I also had an idea how I wanted it to end…but how I got to that eventual point was always a work-in-progress every day I wrote.

I work a lot on the computer, but I also take legal pads with me wherever I go, so I often have handwritten notes and dialogue that I then type into the manuscript.

Nancy, as a new empty nester you now have the time to CARPE DIEM! Seize the moment! Go for the dream! I am so serious about this. As someone who has survived abuse you have been given not only a second chance at life (literally) but you have a unique viewpoint that only you have and it is in life experience that we learn and grow and become equipped to see things from a different perspective.

Ladies, when it comes to writing we are NEVER too old, or too uneducated, or too ignorant, or too ANYTHING! Pick up a pencil and write! Where there is a will there is a way. It might be an old saying but it’s no less true today than it was a ga-zillion years ago.

To Chatty Lady in Nevada….ha-ha-ha…this cracks me up! The Martha Stewart of the writing world. I love it. Hope I have a better CPA than she had, eh?

Dotsie asked about my writing schedule. Sigh. It’s crazy. But for the past two months I have been undergoing a kind of “housekeeping of the heart” with respect to looking at my priorities and re-evaluating the projects on my plate for 2007 and beyond. I write every day. I’m not always working on a manuscript, but I’m always writing something.

I work best with deadlines…self imposed or editor/publisher imposed. I write a book review column for a national magazine and it’s due on 12/1…so I’m working on that right now. My next book is due on May 1, 2007 and I’m working on the research and development aspect of that book right now. I will sit down and type the rough first draft in January when I take a writing sabbatical for the entire month. Then, I begin rewrites and edits and more rewrites. I’m also launching a new web site and e-zine in January, so I am writing content for that and working on the scripts for audio CD projects and teleseminars I will be having.

It’s a never ending series of juggling rewrites, proposals, manuscripts, emails and on and on. The key...truly...the main thing I have learned…is to know your passion with respect to your overall message and target market. I have fine tuned this over the years and this has enabled me to be a better time manager and to prioritize my projects. My target market is baby boomer women, so I’m in the right place here!

Jane talked about “striking while the iron is hot,” YOU ARE SO RIGHT ON SISTER! When we get that opportunity to be published…when all the hard work begins to pay off...that means we have to work harder...not sit back an relax. Sorry, gals, that’s how it is. Perhaps a day does come when book sales sky rocket and you can sit back and take it easy…but until that time comes it’s a never ending cycle of proposing a new project, writing, editing, delivering and starting the entire cycle all over again.

It’s not drudgery when you love what you do….but it is hard work. And I continue to thank God each and every day that I wake up and each and every night that I go to sleep, that I get to do what I am doing. I am blessed and I take the gifts God has given to me very seriously. I know we are all on different playing fields where spirituality is concerned, and that's okay...but it’s my faith that gets me through each and every day of this crazy life I have as an author and speaker.

And I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Have a blessed evening, ladies. Post more questions! NOTHING IS TABBOO.

#93144 - 11/28/06 03:18 AM Re: Allison's back! [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Allison, you said your target market is BBW. What would you say your over arching message is? My other question is about investing in your business, especially the books. Do you invest in advertising? Do you pay an agent, publicist, web site developer, PR person, etc? Also, do you have the "search inside" feature on Amazon? Also, are you set up as a business, or corporation, or individual proprietor? Thanks!

Edited by Lynnie (11/28/06 03:20 AM)

#93145 - 11/28/06 01:55 PM Re: Allison's back! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I know we have you for only a few more days and I am amazed at how much time and information you have shared with us thanks to your giving spirit. I'm signing up for your e-zine. I'm also interested in your response to Lynnie's questions. Thank you, allison!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#93146 - 11/28/06 02:07 PM Re: Allison's back! [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Allison, your web site is wonderful. Will you share with us how it came into being - your thoughts that went into it and that of your web site designer. Thanks.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved