The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#92454 - 03/03/07 07:24 AM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: orchid]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
How about this one? Box fans and Blue Suede Shoes? I remember playing in the back yard hearing Elvis on the radio and coming inside to a house cooled in July by a huge box fan. Mom's fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and egg custard pie! yum, yum

#92455 - 03/03/07 01:02 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, my sister is five years older than me. We went to the same catholic high school. She ahd to kneel to have her skirt measured but by the time I got there, they weren't doing it. Do you remember rolling your skirt at the waist for the walk home?

NL, I remember box fans. I still have a very old one in the shed. I'm not sure why, but I do.

Mercy, I loved that white shoes, gloves and purses. I remember this one white, dressy purse I had for Easter. It had a draw string. It was adorable. I also remember the white, pleather bag with a little gold clasp that help my prayer book from First Holy Communion. Anyone remember that?

Katrinka, didn't we redeem them for little household items and flashlights, stuff like that?

#92456 - 03/03/07 05:47 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if;
NewLeaf Offline

Remember pill box hats with a short veil? Dresses made out of that nubby material, boucle?? I had the Jackie Kennedy look during senior year.

#92457 - 03/03/07 06:49 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: NewLeaf]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Memories...aah...you girls are waking long forgotten images in me.

Did anybody else get new shoes at the beginning of each school year? Remember Buster Brown shoes? Do they still make them? Loved it when they were shiny, without scuffs and the thick madras shoelaces weren't frayed at the end.

Okay, I've never ever told this to anyone before in my life.
Here goes; … I used to introduce my shoes to my old shoes lined up on my closet floor. You know, the same way the teacher would introduce a new classmate to the other pupils.
But that's not the worst of it. My mother told me I marched to school like a soldier. I swung my legs stiff and straight, throwing them way up high, so I could fully enjoy my new 'shoe view'.

Honest Injun, I don't walk like that anymore; stopped cold turkey last week.

#92458 - 03/03/07 08:44 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: Edelweiss]
NewLeaf Offline

Hah! That's funny Hannilore. My mom used to buy me the Mary Janes, black patent leather with the braided strap. I had a long pony tail in a banana curl and I can still remember a blue cotton dress with multi colored bows on it, a white collar and white trim on the sleeves.

I wore that particular combination for our first grade play. My part was to quote the poem, "I shot an arrow into the air, it fell to earth I know not where?"

I stood there in front of all the parents in what seemed like a multitude. My parents were on the first row all smiles Brownie camera in hand.

I had a little bow and arrow but was instructed not to let it go, just to pull it back at the right time. I said, "I shot an arrow into the air, and at that point it flew straight up into the stage ceiling, upon "It came to earth I knew not where," it landed right in my derriere. My look of shock and mortification must have been worth a million. The whole audience roared with laughter and my mom and dad shrunk down in their seats red faced.

#92459 - 03/05/07 06:44 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: orchid]
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
I'm 40, but my town seemed to be 10 years behind everyone else.
My dad brought home two of those desks, and we had them in the room I shared with my sister. That desk was one of the best things he could have ever given me. I spent hours "writing books." Almost ten years ago, when I homeschooled my kids, my dad gave us those desks. Eventually we gave them to another homeschooling family. {sigh}
Dotsie, I wish I could remember. I only remember the drawer was so stuffed with those books.
Marie

Edited by Katrinka (03/05/07 06:46 PM)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved