The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#92414 - 01/10/07 07:33 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: Edelweiss]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
What's a vaccuum cleaner? Don't know? That sucks, tee hee.

Mom sewed our clothes even our winter coats and knit our hats, scarves and mittens.

She made all the bedclothes, quilts etc. Washed everything by hand, cooked everything from scratch and even matted the rugs.

Chatty, I got hand me up's...I was smaller than all my youngest siblings.

My Dad was an uneducated highly skilled carpenter...Mom would say "He can put an ass in a cat."

Love made us the richest family in the world.

chick

#92415 - 01/19/07 02:40 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: flossie]
myownperson59 Offline

I didn't own PF fliers, but I remember them. Skate keys, penny candy, newsreels and cartoons before the movies and movies costing a quarter a matinée! Playing hopscotch, kick the can, hide 'n seek and all-ee, all-ee oxen free and all after dark in the neighborhood. Fast food restaurants were few, but what there was served burgers and fries the size we serve the kids today! Sometimes they offered 5 for a buck! Remember when a small drink cost a dime and it was actually a "small" drink? I've been around long enough that I've seen styles come back, maybe with a different name, but they are (were) back, low rider jeans (hip hungers), flared jeans (bell-bottoms), capri pants (peddle pushers) etc. Remember brush rollers? remember wearing those damn things to bed? oh, lord! Oh, remember when thongs were flip-flops and not G-strings? Boy, this is fun, I'm on a roll! We all sat around the table for dinner that Mom made AT 5-6PM? Mom didn't HAVE to work? and most of them didn't. You could buy a new car for $1000 and a new home for $10,000?
We baby boomers did live in the best of times in a lot of ways...not all, but a lot.

#92416 - 01/19/07 02:58 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: myownperson59]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I totally agree myownperson59...totally. We played in somebody's yard till dark, then under the street light on the corner until someone's Mother yelled, "time to come in!"

Jacks, hopscotch, jumping rope, softball with pillows from our own beds for bases sometimes....the ice cream man DID come around and you could hear him for miles and miles. I always thought that had to be the best job in the entire world.

#92417 - 01/19/07 06:46 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh boy Dana your post started the wheels turning and I remember when Ed and I bought our first home back in 1959; it was a three bedroom, one bath with a big garage and nice yard. It costs us $12,500. (HONEST TO GOD!!) Now-a-days you couldn't buy the garage for that price.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#92418 - 01/19/07 08:53 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I am still a mean Jacks player and skip rope like flash. I hate it that I can't hula hoop anymore though.

#92419 - 01/19/07 09:58 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: jawjaw]
chickadee Offline

JJ said
Quote:

I don't remember any of that stuff....

The first sign of aging

#92420 - 01/19/07 10:10 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I remember right after getting my driver's license, collecting coins from the friends to fill the tank. We filled up with quarters, dimes and nickels.

The first tv we had in our house was a console. Had a console stereo too. Big pieces of furniture!

Oh, reading about playing outside after dark, jacks, jumpropes, brings back great memories. We used to play ball (all kinds) in the street. If, and when, cars ever drove down the street, they went slowly looking for kids playing.

This does not make me feel old, it makes me feel lucky.

#92421 - 01/19/07 10:20 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: chickadee]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:

JJ said
Quote:

I don't remember any of that stuff....

The first sign of aging

#92422 - 01/19/07 10:31 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: flossie]
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Drexel 5505--what country is that? Ours was GL-5 Blackjack chewing gum? What century was that? I remember candy tabs you had to peel off of the paper. I only bought Good-n-Plenty candy because I loved the little boy "choo choo charlie" was his name I think.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
http://www.talk2bev.com
“We are Strong…We are Invincible…We are Baby Boomers!”
Live to be DRAMA FREE Seminars coming Soon!

#92423 - 01/20/07 09:15 AM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: bamgibbs]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
1955, my parents bought their house near Boston for $16.000. Just yesterday my brother sent me a link. The house I grew up in is now on the market for 1 million dollars! I can't believe it. It's just a plain normal house!?!

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved