The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#84888 - 08/12/06 02:00 AM Re: World Trade Center [Re: Lola]
jjblue Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Just back from the movie. Yes, bring tissues--it drives it home one tear at a time. Yes, it is hard to watch. It concentrates on the human side of the horror, deals with valor and the human spirit. As people left the theater, there was total and complete silence--

#84889 - 08/13/06 09:10 AM Re: World Trade Center [Re: jjblue]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Lola, yes, it's a threat to all communities; but terrorism comes primarily from the Moslem community. That's what I'm saying...aren't the best people equipped to fight terrorism their own people? It starts from not honouring the families who have sons that voluntarily go on suicide missions. Their religious and school education should teach and condemn such activities. I just think the whole world is fighting terrorism, but what about the Moslems themselves? Maybe there are such organizations. - I've never heard of them, though.

#84890 - 08/13/06 09:24 PM Re: World Trade Center [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Hannelore. You and I, along with many others have the same query on the particular position which you have raised. It is best explained by the article I have PM-ed you about. Much too long to post it here.

#84891 - 08/13/06 11:31 PM Re: World Trade Center [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
No sure I want to see this movie and am not sure making it was the best course of action to take. The true horror of that experience was bad enough, why immortalize it in the movies? I can just see the terrorists grinning from ear to ear seeing how there kind, their so called heros were able to bring us to our knees....it sickens me!

Edited by chatty lady (08/13/06 11:32 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#84892 - 08/14/06 12:21 AM Re: World Trade Center [Re: Lola]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
We went to see it today - I took my 19 year old son - I cried throughout the movie and he kept grabbing my arm as if to confirm that we were both ok... He has the biggest heart I know and we both were very touched by the goodness.

I think that is the reason the movie was made - to re-confirm that the power of good was evident despite the horror of the terrorists. Yes it was a horrendous event and we shall never forget - but something about the movie touched my heart.

Being on the wexst coast, we heard it on the radio at work and then watched all the coverage - but this movie brought it out more visually. You see much more of what happened.

It was terribly difficult to watch but I must say I came out of it even more proud to be an American.

The one thing I found myself in tears about was the way the movie brought back the terrible inhumanity of those responsible for 9/11. I couldn't avoid crying when I thought about what could possibly make someone hate us so much as to cause such mass destruction to so many - the victims, their families and friends and so many others.

When we left the movie theatre my son said the impact of the movie on his life was huge and he hade a much better sense of respect to police, firefighters and those who help us. We had a great discussion about the movie and life and then went to the batting cages to play some good old American baseball!

I think the movie can be a good way to keep us talking about making the world a better place. Peace must start in our own families and each of us can do little things to make it a better and more peaceful world.

Donna

#84893 - 08/14/06 01:50 PM Re: World Trade Center [Re: 49erDonna]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Donna, your son sounds liek a wonderful human being. Aw!

I really thought I might not see it until I could watch from home, but after reading your post I want to go to the theater to see it. I'm thinking it would be a neat thing to see as a family. My kids are 18, 18, and 21. I know it will be hard to get all of us to go, but maybe even just a couple.

We live in Baltmore so we weren't too far away from the madness. In fact, I recall gathering my kids from school that day while the radio was broadcasting that there was another plane missing and possibly heading to Camp David. That's the one that was heading to DC. It was all way too close for comfort.

I'm so glad to hear you believe it may have been made to reinforce the power of good. Thank God!

Our youngest son is going to school for a film making degree so I will definitely scoop him up to see it. It will be intersting to hear what he believes the message is.

And baseball...my oldest grew up playing baseball like a crazy man. Now he pitches for his college club team in the south and still feeds on it, lives with some of his team mates, travels to other colleges and enjoys hanging out at the fields with is friends. I'm guessing your son still plays...

#84894 - 08/14/06 04:40 PM Re: World Trade Center
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
We went to see this movie and I'm glad we did. It's very good and well made. It's a sad reminder of how awful that day was, something some have seemingly forgotten, sadly.

The acting is wonderful. I couldn't help but think about the families who weren't lucky enough to have their loved ones found and rescued though.

This movie touches on a lot of different emotions. I highly recommend it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#84895 - 08/14/06 04:54 PM Re: World Trade Center [Re: Dianne]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Remember how that day and afterwards, we Americans were so united? We were all changed - and we all knew it. The rest the civilized world was united with us.

I think seeing the movie in a room filled with other Americans would be very comforting and maybe bring that feeling of being united back, at least for a short time.

laurapoplin.com

#84896 - 08/26/06 08:17 AM Re: World Trade Center [Re: Daisygirl]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
I agree - it really was a good feeling to be in a theatre filled with other Americans knowing we were all proud to be Americans.

I do remember feeling like we were all united after the destruction. We were all coming together, waving our flags and showing what is great about being an American.

I think the movie is serving as a reminder that we can and should go back to those days when we were united.

Donna

#84897 - 08/27/06 02:21 AM Re: World Trade Center [Re: 49erDonna]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Someone posted that the movie reminds the terrorists that they 'brought America to its knees.' They did bring us to our knees and on our knees we are at our strongest. If there is anything at all to be thankful for in that horrific act, it's that it brought us to our knees and, at least for a while, we were all joined in prayer for our country.

The terrorists may disrupt our peace and they may inconvenience and frighten us, but they will never triumph over us because we have love and though it may not always be immediately apparent, love is more poweful than hate, jealousy, or evil could ever be. America is strong, not because we have terrible weapons, but because we have love. We do what is necessary to defend those we love and our way of life, but we do it not from hate or jealousy, but to stop hatred and injustice.

America is strong because we have love and we pray. Let's never forget that.

smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved