The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#83067 - 10/31/06 02:39 AM Re: My Dad
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Hi all,

I just returned from my parent's and now it doesn't look good for my dad. His last test showed that the tumor didn't budge this time. They have stopped chemotherapy and are going to do other tests and give him other kinds of meds. I don't quite understand all of this. The Dr told him he had a little over a year left. I felt so bad, it must be horrible to hear those words. Anyway, I just want him to have a good quality of life. He is planning on going to Greece with my mom in the spring. It is important to him to go there. Even though he is American, he considers Greece his home as well.

Love you all Best,
Cathi

#83068 - 10/31/06 09:31 AM Re: My Dad [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Cathi, my heart goes out to you. I went through a similiar situation with my Dad. It was a long good-bye. It hurts, and when I look back I just wish I could have made him laugh more. You still have that chance. God bless.

#83069 - 10/31/06 09:41 AM Re: My Dad [Re: Edelweiss]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Life's transitions are so heart-wrenching! My mother was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease (talk about LONG good-byes) and I just lost my Dad last summer suddenly, after a fall.

Take advantage of the time your Dad has left - Perhaps sit down and think of all the things you've left unsaid and say them.
And once you've done that...just HUG HIM!!! There is nothing like a Dad's hug.
I have my father's flannel shirts and how much I wish to feel his warm hugs again, coming from within those shirts...

I'm sorry for what you are all going through, Cathi. It's a wonderful thing that he has the strength and desire to travel. No matter its length, life is SHORT...

#83070 - 10/31/06 01:14 PM Re: My Dad [Re: klmr13]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Cathi, I'm so sorry. I hope he gets to make his trip. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#83071 - 10/31/06 01:22 PM Re: My Dad [Re: klmr13]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Cathi, my heart aches with you. I know that the agony is and will continue to be breathtaking, but don't let that keep you from seizing every moment you can with your Dad. Grab onto the incredible gift you've been given to truly celebrate life with him. I didn't get that chance with my Dad (he died very suddenly). I pray that somehow you'll all be able to reach in underneath the grief and the agony of this long journey and recognize the hidden blessing you've all been given to seize this day with all the living you can squeeze into each moment.

(Maya Angelou)

#83072 - 10/31/06 01:34 PM Re: My Dad [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Cathi,
We are all reading your post today with sad hearts. I can tell you that if I had one wish, it would be to see Daddy once more and say, "thank you." He gave me such an incredible childhood and so much love. Please let it flow easy off your lips. I will pray for all of you to find the strength to live only in the moments and to somehow not let this rob you of today! You will be in my thoughts, daily. God bless,

JJ

#83073 - 10/31/06 03:08 PM Re: My Dad [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
We're here with you on this, Cathi. Is there any way your mom and dad can take their trip sooner, in case he's not feeling well by spring?

The one benefit of being "given a year" is that you have the opportunity to say all the things you wanted to say but haven't, and can maybe do the things you've wanted to do but have been putting off. I guess we all have that opportunity every day, but we don't always do it if we aren't given a deadline.

#83074 - 10/31/06 04:24 PM Re: My Dad [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Cathi, I've been wondering how your dad was doing. Sorry the latest news wasn't good, but hope springs eternal. In the meantime, enjoy everything with him.
((HUGS))

In My Father's house are many mansions...John 14:2

http://www.myspace.com/westernbluebird

#83075 - 10/31/06 05:01 PM Re: My Dad [Re: Bluebird]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Thank you so much ladies. Knowing that you are all praying for him gives me great comfort and strength.

He seemed in good spirits when we left the other day. Of course, he bought a new computer and finally had it all hooked up. He is enjoying his new toy and I think this keeps him from sitting around all day and feeling like crap.

I think he is beginning to get the attitude of enjoying himself with the time he has left. (Sometimes I believe that is a factor in healing)

Kathy, he cannot make the trip sooner because of other tests that he has to go through soon. Unfortunately, he has to wait nearly two months for that. After that, he will have more time to be able to spend in Greece when he goes. Right now, the weather in Rhodes is damp and cold because it is an island. This would not be good for him because he has rheumatoid(SP) arthritis.

JJ, I had given my dad a book on Father's Day written by Tim Russett, the title is something like "letters to our fathers" I don't remember the exact title, shame on me. I had the opportunity to thank him for the many things he had done for us. I wanted to point out to him that I never remember him complaining about anything that had to do with working and taking us places, etc...

Okay, I need to get going and do some laundry. I am going back to work tomorrow because my FMLA time is up. It worked out well because my dad is well enough to take care of some of the minor things. Thank God my parents are close enough for me to be able to take a trip on weekends and holidays.

I love you all alot!

Cheers,
Cathi

#83076 - 11/01/06 08:36 PM Re: My Dad [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dear Cathi:
When words can't convey enough, please remember we're with you and share your sadness. I do pray your dad enjoys the time he has.

It's great that he's looking forward to that trip to Greece, and that he's entertained with his computer, etc. I continue to pray for the Lord's guidance in this. May you be strengthened by his strength.

I don't know if knowing ahead of time is worse than loosing them suddenly, but do enjoy him and share the love you have for each other. Good memories never die.
NABBW & NAWW

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved