The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#82813 - 07/17/06 05:26 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: DonnaJ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Well...this was one time that being the Queen of Blarney paid off...believe me...I'm very animated when I speak (much to my Mom's dismay), and luckily I remembered that audiences LOVE to participate and quite frankly, I LOVE it when they do...so what I did was stop a few times and involve them. It worked great.

JJ

#82814 - 07/17/06 08:11 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: DonnaJ]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I couldn't do it, memorize, that is. I know I should, but I can't. I can picture how great you are up there at the podium JJ, and you Dotsie to 1,000 people! Oh my! My memory can't handle a whole speech without notes. And my nerves could not handle 1,000 people. In October I will be speaking for a fundraiser at the Pueblo Rape Crisis Center. Fortunately, I get to read from my book for the first 8 minutes of a 30 minute speech. That gives me the warm up and comfort zone that I need. I have to use notes. Toastmasters teaches that it's best to memorize. I don't know if it's meds or menopause, but I don't trust my memory, so I will use notes in extra large font so I don't have to use my magnifying glasses at the tip of my nose! L

#82815 - 07/17/06 08:45 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: Princess Lenora]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Lynnie, I've read your book and have gotten to know you via the forums here. You'll never convince me you are not a dynamic speaker. Everybody uses notes...at least all the speakers I know do. I can't imagine going through an entire 30 minute speech, even 20 minutes, and not using them. No joke. What I could see on my cards/notes was a word here and there, but that was it. So while I did have to "ham it up a bit," I was totally shaken by it all and had to pull myself together and forge on. I simply didn't have a choice. I do remember thinking (in a split second; like your life flashing before you) "Well...here goes my career!" Luckily, I did not give in to that thought!

I just wish I had the same picture of ME that you do! LOL! But you have inspired me to greater heights...thank you my friend!

JJ

#82816 - 07/17/06 09:15 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Whats wrong with using notes anyway? I have always had some kind of fall back notes when having to speak. I haven't always used them but they were there and I knew it and that alone helped calm my nerves.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#82817 - 07/18/06 03:02 AM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

That's what I would like to know: what is wrong with using notes? When I practice in Toastmasters, I do use my notes. During the evaluation, they do NOT discredit me for using notes because I use notes with discretion. Nowadays everyone uses powerpoint, which I've never learned. Yes, Chatty, just having them there helps calm the nerves. Marilyn VanDebur was Miss America in 1959 (I think that was the year.) Anyway, when I asked her for speaking advice, even she told me it was ok to rely on notes. And she should know. Public speaking has been her career for 48 years. She told me that she memorized all of her speeches for the first 40 years. Then she decided she no longer needed to live under that pressure and terror. Now, at age 68, she changed a lot, including the message (she now speaks out about incest) and the method (she uses notes.) She is my role model. Oh, she was the first female motivational speaker for huge corporations. Chatty, I like your signature about sisters...L

#82818 - 07/18/06 11:56 AM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Hey Lynnie, where ya been? Missed you.

I think Marilyn Van Debur's book on incest is one of the best I've ever read. She's an amazing woman.

I always have notes when I speak. I may not use them but it's nice just in case I have a brain eclipse.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#82819 - 07/18/06 02:44 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: Dianne]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Personally, I think memorizing can be a bad thing....So many times when I get up to speak, I find that what I thought was going to be relavant isn't. For whatever reason--(Holy Spirit) I am lead to skip this and expound on that. Also as I read the audience reaction to certain statements I get a better sense of where the topic is heading--what part is impacting them the most. If I relied on strict memorization, how would I be able to remain flexible to the Spirit's prompting to deliver the best message possible?

Also, if you loose your place, with notes you can get back on track--if memorized how can you regain your position? I would have a menopause panic attack and start REALLY sweating--major hot flash and get so flustered I'd probably have to run off stage......

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#82820 - 07/18/06 03:40 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: starting over]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Don't misread memorizing points made here. I think everyone is saying they practice their speeches and use notes to keep them on track. Speeches have a beginning, a middle, and a summary, or wrap up...having notes to keep you on track is just another tool speakers use, and a great one, in my opinon. When we say "memorize" you could say we're referring to practicing.

A memorized speech is noticeable, a practiced one is unforgetable...there's a difference.

JJ

#82821 - 07/18/06 03:47 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: jawjaw]
Princess Lenora Offline

Yes, I agree with practice, practice, practice. I use a tape recorder. And Toastmasters. Dianne, I'd like to answer the question about where I've been, but I'm not sure where to post it in the forums. Any suggestions? I missed you all too! L

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved