The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#81476 - 05/10/06 04:31 PM Re: getting closer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Downdog, this is so true. It's rather humbling, isn't it?

I've had fun realizing that I'm as old as my mom was posing in my prom pictures with me. I recall thinking how old she was. That's what my kids think of me I guess, but I don't feel that old. Do you? Make sense?

#81477 - 05/11/06 09:05 AM Re: getting closer
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Makes too much sense. Boy do I hear you. NO, I don't feel that old, but I know that's how THEY see me. At some point, I'm not sure when it is, but you become/feel like a PERSON, not an AGE. I think it's been harder to "act (& dress) my age now then ever. I don't know how old I am. Is it how old I feel, how old I look, how old I act...want to be...how old my kids are...how wise I am (ha, ha), you get the point.

Humbling, puzzling, sad, weird, unexplainable,thought provoking...

I often wonder why life has to go uphill, then in reverse, back downhill. (Not that this is downhill in a bad sense, but it IS cycling). I know it's the "life cycle", but does anyone else struggle with this concept. I'm not trying to question God, but I sure can be Curious George!?

#81478 - 05/12/06 12:00 AM Re: getting closer
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I think we should be the age we feel. I have a friend who is 20 years older than me and old enough to be my mother. I have more fun and more in common with her than any other friend I can think of. She told me today that she feels my age......and if I didn't know better, I would think she was, too! She has a positive and upbeat attitude towards life, although it hasn't been an easy one - that keeps one young.

My 4 yr old grandson asked me if his dad was my dad too. LOL LOL I know he doesn't think I'm old!

Seriously, I don't feel obligated to dress, act or be any certain age, except what I feel inside. Now, I'm not going to dress like Paris Hilton or anything, but I do keep up with the current styles, politics, current events, etc. -as long as it's me.

Be who YOU think you are..........

Daisygirl

#81479 - 05/12/06 12:20 AM Re: getting closer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

This is a great conversation.

I can totally relate..like totally. Just kidding. How's that for not acting my age?

At this point in time, I feel like my mind is getting better, I am not intimidated by others, I do what I want because I want and not because someone else wants me to, I have more clarity about what I believe...and...my body is aging...but I'm pretty cool with that. It seems to go with getting older and wiser. I happen to like gaining wisdom through the years so I'll take the aging body parts.

#81480 - 05/12/06 03:47 AM Re: getting closer
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
This is all so true...I truly don't feel my age (whatever that means) I simply feel like a grown up...and I can feel comfortable with a 25 year old or an 85 year old ...like you Dotsie...I no longer let other people intimidate me..and I am confident in my own wisdom...BUT...I really hate the aging body parts though...not for vanity reasons..but because they slow me down more often than I would like to admit...i remember my Grandmother saying to me."if I only had an oil can for my knees everything would be perfect"...well that's how I feel now...only I need the oil can for my back....still...life is good!

#81481 - 05/12/06 08:09 AM Re: getting closer
downdog Offline

I also remember an "older" lady that I got to hang out with for awhile (same Daisygirl, about 20yrs older), she did cartwheels down this track we were walking on, so full of life and fun and sillyness, I remember thinking "I want to be just like her when I grow up!".

I think we stop feeling an age somewhere around 30ish, and them just become who we are, a personality, a person.

I do still struggle with being intimidated by others, I think it's a confidence issue. Most people would be surprised that I struggle with that, since I put up a really good front. I also think its weird to see the younger generation (25-30ish) and be referring to them as "kids".

I wish I could get to that place where I'm not always wondering what others are thinking of me. I, way too much, get my self confidence from what others think. It's a personality, but it's also vanity, "center of the universe syndrome". LIKE YUCK! Not a good thing.

I want to age with the grace my girls will respect and want to model.

#81482 - 05/12/06 09:08 PM Re: getting closer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

downdog, at least you are aware of it. That's huge.

I soemtimes wonder what others think, then dismiss it by saying, "who cares?"

We're all a work in progress.

#81483 - 05/14/06 06:06 AM Re: getting closer
downdog Offline

My youngest daughter does the "who cares" thing really well, she's a real sweet, gentle kid, but has alot of self-confidence. I really envy that! It's kidda funny I've got one girl just like me and one who I'd like to be just like! Love them both the dearly, differences included. I think I admire their diferences more as they grow up, they become young adults with neat personalities.

#81484 - 05/15/06 06:49 PM Re: getting closer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

downdog, our three kids are all very different. I like how you pointed out that you appreciate their differences more as they grow older. I hadn't thought about that, but you're right, I do too. I wouldn't want them to all be the same. They have different friends from all groups. You know how they get categorized as preps, jocks, goths, speds, etc.(awful, but true). We've seen them all and every teen has something to offer this world.

I really like teenagers. I think Ross and I will probably become involved with our high school youth group in a couple years. FUnny, that's where we started years ago when we joined our church. Then when we had three kids so quickly, we had to drop out.

#81485 - 05/16/06 09:36 AM Re: getting closer
downdog Offline

Exactly, every teen and every adult has something to offer this world. Now, how to encourage my girls to see everyone as a "possiblity" in the making. AND for ME to remember to see everyone this way. It's neat when I am in rare form and can see people through "God's eyes" and see all their traits, even the most outragous ones, as something God could use.

Is funny, going back to where you were in life before the kids...

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved