The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#81238 - 06/02/06 06:49 PM Re: looking ahead
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Casey, funny you mention working in retirement. Boomers are giving a whole new meaning to the word. I've received lts of articles through Google about boomers never retiring. Many reasons have been given:

-healthier and want to continue
-retiring and doing something we're passionate about to make a difference
-finances, need the money
-driven by activity
-driven by the feeling of success
-living longer
-witnessed our parents retiring too young

#81239 - 06/04/06 04:48 AM Re: looking ahead
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It depends on the type of work one does I think. As long as I can see, type and think straight, I'll be editing manuscripts. (and partying till I drop!) [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] [Cool]

[ June 03, 2006, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#81240 - 12/14/06 05:49 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: chatty lady]
Patsy Offline

Hello All,
I'm new to the board but, love what I am reading.... Am soon to be 56 (next month) and single -- always wanted to retire from the corporate world at 55 (missed that boat). My last 20 years were spent as a software trainer and traveled extensively so I wasn't too disappointed when my last company decided to go in a different direction leaving trainers looking for employment. Thought I had planned well -- please notice I said "thought" -- and could take early retirement. Well, that hit the skids when I realized the cost of health insurance on my own.

I could retire with no health insurance or find employment just for the insurance. Listing criteria for my ideal job had lots of time off at the top of my list. Not many jobs start you off like that unless you work for a school system so I checked that out. Almost fell out of my chair the day I found out that, in my area, you can drive a school bus for 5 years and then take early retirement (if you are at least 60) and early retirement gives you health insurance for the rest of your life -- and if you aren't smiling now, hold on -- the insurance is competely paid for.

So now I am a school bus driver and I have 4 years and 6 weeks until I can retire. Actually, my kids are good and I kinda like it. It's a far cry for the corporate job.

Anyway, that's me and I'll looking ahead (as this topic states).

Patsy

#81241 - 12/14/06 05:53 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Patsy]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Welcome Patsy! Wow, that sounds like you've taken the right direction for your goals. A little research can really pay off. Looking forward to seeing you around our little forum world...

Kathy

#81242 - 12/14/06 06:27 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hi Patsy, what an interesting story; from a software trainer to a bus driver! You sound happy too.

I live in Germany, and we have a social medical system. It's fantastic. Everyone is insured, there is no thing as not being insured. That includes dentists, braces for kids, some cosmetic surgery, marriage counselling…it's all insured!

Why can a small country like Germany be able to afford this? It's so fantastic. I don't know why it doesn't catch on in the States. Hospitals clinics, even recuperation wellness spas are all paid for by the State insurance.

In my case, since I have my own company, I have to pay my own monthly insurance…but that starts at a certain income. Everything below that income, or if you are not self-employed is automatically taken care of.

I can recommend voting for a presidential candidate who supports social medicine, It's the only way.

#81243 - 12/14/06 11:23 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Well Patsy, you've found a solution to the health insurance problem for yourself. That's great. That's not an option for me. I'm doing good to drive my car, never mind a bus. I drove a station wagon for a kindergarten years ago. I was young then.
Louisa

#81244 - 12/15/06 06:54 AM Re: looking ahead [Re: Louisa]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Echoes of my mind, Hannelore. Why are'nt the same social benefits we enjoy, where we are, workable in the US? Baffling and appalling, is'nt it? The UK has a cradle to grave social system where none is left out regardless of means, even those who have not contributed any National Insurance. I had major surgery earlier this year and paid nothing towards it.

Yes, I believe this has got to be advocated by politicians who could unselfishly present the true mechanics of government's social services where the taxes one has paid in a lifetime, regardless of years or amount of contribution, allows for a safety net as and when it becomes necessary.

#81245 - 12/15/06 12:05 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Patsy, what a planner. You saved yourself a fortune. I'm not sure what's going to happen when all us boomers retire and have to pay for health insurance. There are many jobs that have cut retirement benefits which is going to leave so many people in a pickle. There's talk that boomers will not retire until much later. So much of that has to do with the fact that we'll need the money to insure ourselves. And God knows the older we get, the more we need that health insurance. Plus we're living longer, so who can afford to retire and maintain the life style we currently have...

#81246 - 12/16/06 01:20 PM Re: looking ahead
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Hi Patsy. How wonderful that you have the health and strength to drive a bus. Like Louisa, I can barely drive my car and my back hurts after 15 mintues.

If I could retire I'd like to go back to volunteering at the Literacy Council and a few other places I'd spend volunteer time. It's good to have a dream.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#81247 - 12/16/06 02:04 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Saundra]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Yes, dreams keep us going. Something to look forward to. My husband still does a lot of his community work now that he's retired. He's on several boards, including the Chamber of Commerce and the Lion's Club made him a lifetime member. He is so busy, I ask him how he ever had time to work:) He has taken a lot of the stress off me this season by doing some of the shopping we do together at night during the day by himself. I don't know if I'll be able to retire at 62 or if I will have to wait until I'm 66, which is the full retirement age for me. I'm hoping that if I can't retire at 62, I can at least cut my hours down enough to still have and pay for health insurance. Besides the insurance thing, there's the fact that if I retire at 62, it's a reduced benefit. I believe that would all even out since I would be receiving it longer. But, I am entitled to my full benefit or half of his. Not sure yet if that is so at 62. That would be a significantly higher amount. My husband is good with figuring stuff out and does all the homework. Thank God, because all I do is worry about it. There's no point in that.

Louisa

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved