The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#81165 - 02/23/06 01:38 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Flipper,
I can't help but laugh at your bull stories (A.K.A. BS.) Reminds me of my growing up. We had a farm and ranch operation and Daddy gave the funniest names to all the animals.

I can never remember them except one. His favorite cow had a prolapsed uterus that hung out of her private parts (if cows have private parts) making her look almost like a bull. It kind of flopped when she walked so Daddy named her 'floppy cock.'

Despite her 'problem,' She lived and gave milk forever.

I really admire those who stay on the farm to 'feed the world's hungry.' I'm sure it's not easy, but you and your family are doing a great thing.

Thank you.

smile

[ February 22, 2006, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#81166 - 02/23/06 05:43 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
Smile, I love the name your dad gave his cow - I can just see it as I've seen some pretty wierd things over the years and thats no bull! (B.S. does run thick around here at times, though.)

Thank you for your farmer appreciation. It warms my heart because we don't get a lot of that.

[ February 22, 2006, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: flipperjo ]

#81167 - 02/23/06 07:14 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I read an interesting artticle that could be great for the farmers, and about time too. It stated that if we turn to "corn" for energy they won't be able to plant and harcest enough of the stuff...Now if the powers that be just don't find a way to line their own pockets and stiff the farmers some might actually make some real money and won't that be wonderful.....Well as you know I love and foster all kinds of animals but never a cow or a bull, think I'd need a bigger house, LOL. [Roll Eyes]

[ February 22, 2006, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#81168 - 02/23/06 08:53 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
flipperjo Offline

Chatty, you definitely don't want a cow or bull in ANY size house - talk about B.S.! We do have a calf for you, though - a preemie born this week weighing in at about 20 pounds. I haven't been to the barn but dh says he is a real cutie - appears to be fully developed but the size of a small dog. Mama doesn't want him so dh is bottle feeding. We might give it to the neighbor kids as hubby doesn't want to devote the time it takes for a preemie and the kids and their dad love to do all the extra tlc.

We are hearing a lot about corn for fuel and other uses, but the technology is slow. We were supposed to get an ehtanol plant but the European investers backed out so they are back to square one with financial backing. In the mean time, my son's corn crop stays in the bin because none of the local elevators will take it, even for feed. Frustrating!

[ February 23, 2006, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: flipperjo ]

#81169 - 02/23/06 09:31 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
smilinize Offline

That your son has unsaleable corn is simply heart breaking flipper. Especially when somewhere in the world people are starving.

If storage becomes too expensive, he might donate it to Feed the Children. You probably know, but Larry Jones founded that organization because farmers were paying to store crops that they couldn't sell. He got truckers who would haul them to a central point for distribution to hungry children in foreign countries. It is now the largest charity of its kind in America.

Before things reach that point though, I think we need to start a boomer prayer chain for your family and your farm. I'm starting it right now with a prayer for blessings beyond anything you can imagine.

smile

#81170 - 02/24/06 09:53 PM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
flipperjo Offline

Smile, I can't tell you how much those prayers mean to me. I know farmers have a reputaion for complaining so I hesitate to say just how difficult it really is. We have had one crisis after the other in the last few years so the stress level has taken a huge toll on all of us. Thank God for a few miracles thrown into the mix or I would truly be ready for a straight jacket.
THANK YOU FOR CARING!!!!!

#81171 - 02/24/06 09:55 PM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
flipperjo Offline

Thanks, too, for reminding me about Feed the Children. I am starting a web business that will educate people about farming. One thing we will be doing is giving 40 acres of crop sales to a food related charity so I will research Feed the Children for the list.

#81172 - 02/24/06 11:19 PM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
My hubby and I don't anticipate retirement either. I'm 56 and he's 54. Just don't see it as an option. Not enough money to live on.

Am having to contemplate going back to work to pay off the enormous medical bills I now have from two surgeries because we have no medical/health insurance. I think I am somewhere over $50,000.00 in debt from the surgeries. Need to find a way to pay for them.

The middle class is getting the squeeze and we are loosing fast here. I didn't realize so many of us this age were in the same boat or thoughts about not being able to retire.

Sandpiper

#81173 - 02/25/06 02:10 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
smilinize Offline

Flipperjo, Larry Jones is really quite a wonderful person and I believe his charity has been determined to spend less on administration and more on the recipients than about any other.

He is from farm country (possibly a farm family) so he understands farm issues. Feed the Children resulted from his observations of the heartbreak of farming juxtaposed with the tragedy of starvation.

Sandpiper, I think any of us could be wiped out by a major illness. Even with insurance, illness can be financially devastating. Health care is so far over priced, but we are all so dependent. Even a relatively minor surgery can cost tens or even hundreds of thousands.

Of course retirement without health would not be worthwhile.

I wish there was a solution, but I've not seen one yet. It seems the more the government gets involved, the worse it gets.

smile

[ February 24, 2006, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#81174 - 02/28/06 06:02 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
Maritza Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
searcher; thank you for your advise, my dad died in the late 70's, mom was independent until she had a problem with her eyes, had treatment, and we decided that it would be best rather than going home that she would stay at a Rehab./Nursing Center on a temporary basis. I soon started to noticed buising and cuts,i complaint, then mom told me she had fallen, i asked they denied it,and so on, until i found her on the floor, mid day of a Sat.(i had left not long before, after helping her with her bath, hair, lunch, etc.) I made the mistake of telling the adm. that i was going to report them to the elder abuse hotline, she would not allowe me to use the phone, and in fact, by the time i made it home a couple of blocks away, she had called and filed a complaint against ME. long story short,it snowballed into guardianship court,boy, those judges and close atty. know who to do it...she was deemed incompetent- so that she could not speak on what she wanted,lost her home to pay the court appointed guardian and their attorneys, was court ordered to stay at the same place,lost her bilateral sight,and continued to be abuse. 5 months later of my letter writing and complaining to the court,the guardian and to a paid supervising person to ME as if I was a criminal; the judge ORder mother out of the same place i filed a complaint about- withing 24 hours. that was in 2002, i have continued to fight for her, was on tv, written myself to the bones, spend thousand of dollars... fast forward july 2005 i was appointed mother's guardian. they left her homeless, blind, stuck at a nursing home, as a medicaid patient. mother worked all her life, in fact, had a business. yes, i want to bring her home, the judge is covering her -because she knows i will not let go.Ck out 7 News Investigative report by Carmel Cafiero titled "Going For Broke"which air 02/04/05, i have the same judge who put the 80 year old woman in jail for 5 months...lots to tell, nobody listens....thank you for doing so, maritza

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved