The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#80893 - 06/16/06 06:21 AM Re: Sleeveless tops
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
The cure for aging arms is - you guessed it - sepcific weight-training exercise - serious triceps(like seated dips and modified push-ups if you don't have any weights) and biceps exercises(like curls), along with a good diet. Don't forget the shoulders either - nicely-shaped deltoids add a great line to your upper body, and improve the look of things in sleeveless or other types of shoulder-baring tops, as well as the fact that the training will improve posture. Don't let anyone tell you nothing can be done. Look up some bodybuilding exercises and start light, with a couple of sets of 10 reps per body part, and make it progressive, like increasing your reps until you can do 15, then up the weight, and add exercises. Generally speaking, because the triceps take up two-thirds of the upper arm, do twice as many sets of triceps exercises as biceps. Fill in with a couple of forearm exercises(great for grip strength, which we need to continue to be independent as we get older), If you don;t have a clue as to how to start with this kind of exercise, hit the gym and find an instructor who can set you up. Be consistent and regular with this, and in due time you WILL see results. Of course, this helps in the context of a comprehensive fitness program anyway. Don't be afraid to work hard, as that is what it takes to get those arms in shape, plus it will make things easier in your daily life anyway, like carrying things, opening jars(as your grip will improve amazingly), etc.
In the meantime, as far as sleeveless tops, wear what you feel comfortable with. In due time, on your program, you'll be able to treat yourself to a pretty new top - there are so-o many out there now - you're bound to find something that looks good.

#80894 - 06/17/06 07:45 AM Re: Sleeveless tops
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Thank you for this advice.

I have a question. At a certain age, no matter how much iron you pump, the skin covering those new muscles is old and starting to look like tissue paper. Other than cosmetic surgery, is there a way to help diminish the looks of this?

Also, how do you get rid of that thin layer of fat that likes to live on my upper arms? I eat healthy so do I need to cut back even more on fats?

#80895 - 06/16/06 08:25 PM Re: Sleeveless tops
cara4art Offline

Hi Dianne!

Hopefully, the tissue-paper look is way late in the game of life! But before that stage, there are a few things you can do. True, mature skin quality is not the same as a young woman, but body care treaments can make a big difference, along with an effective body butter(like shea butter, or extra-virgin coconut oil, more about that in a minute!). It can be as simple as a weekly home-made olive oil-brown sugar scrub followed by the body butter, or you can go the commercial route with scrubs, creams(stay away from the cheap mineral oil-based lotions-they do nothing but sit on the skin, and the mineral oil actually DRIES out the skin in due time, making you have to apply more and more lotion for lessening benefit, if any). There are lots of "spa-type" of products out there, in differing price ranges, so this might be the time to treat oneself to a good duo! This will lessen the appearance of crepey skin, and the self-care will make you feel good too. Maybe hubby/significant other can help! Too many times, women only take care of the skin on the face, and never apply anything to the body, esp. when they get older, thinking it won't make any difference. You can delay crepey skin by not regularly getting too tan, too, as too much sun is well-known for breaking down the collagen and negatively affecting skin texture. Compare the skin on the inside of the thigh, say, to your forearm, and you'll see what I mean.
More about extra-virgin coconut oil - some women swear that within about 6 weeks of daily use on the body, crepey skin was GREATLY lessened. This type of coconut oil has a natural exfoliating acid in it, lauric acid, that smooths the skin, plus it is non-toxic to boot. Google "extra-virgin coconut oil. For my own use, I make my shea butter-coconut oil body butter, and in my next batch I'm switching from regular coconut oil to the extra-virgin kind. Another thing to consider for general health, esp. with applying something to your whole body, 60% of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into the bloodstream, not good when contemplating the amount of chemicals etc. in commercial treatments. That's why I go the natural route, personally.
About the fats, well, yes, you might have to take another look at your diet, and the type of fats you are eating. Too many refined carbos might also be the culprit here, as any excess carbohydrate esp. in refined form, tends to get stored as bodyfat. Finally, it might also boil down to your basic starting bodytype too, whether ectomorphic(basically lean), mesomorphic(puts on muscle easily), or endomorphic(puts on fat easily, tough to lose weight). Most of us have a predominant one, with a close second. Training and diet can be adjusted accordingly.
Hope this helps!

#80896 - 06/16/06 08:46 PM Re: Sleeveless tops
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I looked at the inside of my thigh and it's ugly too! [Eek!]

Yes, this does help...a lot! Can't thank you enough. Can the coconut oil be bought other than online?

#80897 - 06/16/06 10:02 PM Re: Sleeveless tops
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Wow I learned alot from this Topic. I even have some natural cocunt butter at home. Let you know if it works! Thanks cara4art for alot of excellent information.

#80898 - 06/16/06 10:54 PM Re: Sleeveless tops
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I also do weight training - but no matter whether I'm at my ideal weight or a few over, the dimples just won't go away. No giggle thank goodness - just this disgusting layer of dimply fat. So, I will always continue with my fittness regimen - but cover the upper arms at all costs.

I have found that the body lotions with firming claims do take away that tissue paper look - short term. I use it every day on the neck area - that is really creeping me out. Can't wear turtlenecks all year - but it might come to that eventually.

#80899 - 06/17/06 09:06 AM Re: Sleeveless tops
cara4art Offline

Hi Dianne!

Yes, the coconut oil can be bought at Whole Foods if you have one in your area - Nutiva is the brand, also another brand that can be found at some healthfood stores is Garden of Life. BTW, the coconut oil can be good for thick curly hair too - just melt a little bit in the palms of your hands and scrunch through your damp curls(instant curl reviver and conditioner too.)
As you can see I'm a fan of natural stuff whenever possible for desired results!

#80900 - 06/18/06 07:30 AM Re: Sleeveless tops
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

We have a Whole Foods not too far from home so I'm going to get some today! I'm excited and I really thank you for all of this advice!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved