The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#78383 - 01/05/06 09:13 PM Remodeling Projects
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
We took out some equity in our house for some remodeling projects. We have a list of them to do, and we're kind of floundering about which ones would be best for the house and which ones we should work on first.

I was wondering of those of you with experience, where should we start first? I'm not real thrilled about having strangers in my house for a long time, so those projects that will need contractors, maybe we should have them done first and out of the way? Or is there another way I should be looking at it?

Here's my list of projects (not in any particular order)
1. Lanai over pool, resurface pool
2. Screen in back patio
3. Kitchen cabinets, counters, wallpaper
4. New A/C unit for the house
5. master bathroom, re-paint walls, retile shower
6. 3 bedrooms - put in hardwood floors

I'm one of those "collectors" that has a lot of STUFF around. Boxes and boxes of stuff. My husband too. We're well matched that way. We'd be doing some major moving of STUFF to do the floors in each bedroom. But, hey, it might be the perfect incentive to go through all that stuff and pare down to what is absolutely necessary and throw out the rest.

So, any suggestions or am I a hopeless cause?

#78384 - 01/05/06 10:19 PM Re: Remodeling Projects
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Vicki, I would get the worst over with first - the kitchen. Also, if you get 1 contractor for all, it might make things run smoother.

I have a warning. Just this week I was talking to 2 guys at the dog park and they paid a contractor (one knew them for 10 years) $6,000 up front for a fence. The contractor didn't complete the job and they've had to take the guy to court to get their money back and the most they'll get back is $3,000. I would not pay all up front and I would also get references.

Daisygirl

#78385 - 01/05/06 10:41 PM Re: Remodeling Projects
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Daisy, you make a good point. I'll watch out for anyone who insists on full payment up front. We have an organization down here called "Handy Man Connection". It matches homeowners with a handyman. They're bonded and insured through the company. I think I'll give them a call. Our neighbor used them before they sold their house and were pleased with the results.

Hmm.. do the kitchen first. That might make sense. Get the worst (most inconvenient) one done first and get it out of the way. I'll talk to hubby about it.

#78386 - 01/07/06 09:57 AM Re: Remodeling Projects
Stacy M. Offline

Loc: New Albany, Ohio
Hi Vicki ~
My 2 cents.....regarding your list.

I suggest listing them from most to least important to you and your husband. Which completed space would make you the happiest and most at ease in your home?

All this renovating will be very stressful. You need to have a space that you can "retreat" to, one that calms you and takes you back your ultimate commitment....loving where you live.

#78387 - 01/08/06 05:56 AM Re: Remodeling Projects
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Vicki its always best to get someone thats bonded and insured and has been recommended by a friend or neighbor thats had work done by them. None of your jobd seem minor and need an expert to do, I agree the kitchen and bath should be done first. It will be stressful no matter what so just try to take it with a grain of salt and imagine the finished house all new and beautiful AND NEVER PAY ANYONE UP FRONT FOR ANYTHING.....

#78388 - 01/08/06 11:04 PM Re: Remodeling Projects
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

thanks for the tips.

I've been reading up on remodeling projects and the "experts" say that the first part of the year is a good time to do house projects and get A/C units. So, I guess I picked a good time.

The only other thing I have to watch out for and make sure I make accomodations for is my parrot and my dog. They're sure to be inconvenienced too.. and stressed. I want to make it as easy as possible on them too.

#78389 - 01/09/06 12:51 AM Re: Remodeling Projects
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, you may also want to consider that it always takes longer than anticipated, and often costs more than the original bid. Be sure the bid is set in stone.

#78390 - 01/09/06 01:46 AM Re: Remodeling Projects
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Vicki,
When we redid essentially the whole house last year, we started with the ceiling and worked down. That way we could paint and floor over any mistakes.

We hired contractors who signed contracts then never showed up or showed up for a few days until they got a bigger job on one of the many huge new houses going up all around us then disappeared.

We wound up doing some of it ourselves. My husband loved doing it, he loves those things, but I think it made it take longer. I love the results and now I want to do a few more things.
Some new counter tops and a larger bath would be nice.

Here's how I handle payments to contractors. I can see why they would be reluctant to put their own money into material that will go in my house so I go with them to buy the material and I haul it home and they unload it in my house then I pay them in increments as they complete the labor. It's not foolproof, but at least I don't pay for nothing.

smile

#78391 - 01/09/06 03:48 AM Re: Remodeling Projects
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
If the deal is in stone make sure its IN WRITING or you haven't a leg to stand on in any small court....hopefully no court will be needed. If you have a minister/priest you might ask him for the name of a good contractor....

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved