The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 93 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#73363 - 06/16/05 04:31 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I've been keeping up on this thread with great interest.

I was diagnosed with multiple personalities many years ago. Through therapy and lots of hard work I'm to a point that I don't switch anymore - but sometimes I wish I still could.

I was born under the sign of Leo with Pisces rising -- fire and water signs. I flame up like fire and then put myself out. At least that's how I've always "explained" , at least up until lately, my bi-polar like symtoms.

If I found myself in a situation I couldnt deal with -- or what I'm now beginning to believe were panic attacks -- I would simply "switch" to the personality that could deal with it. But since I don't do that anymore - I sometimes find myself in a spin.

What I thought were the mind games of my (bored) child personality -- I now wonder if it's not a bit of OCD.

Over the years I have found my own way to survive, but you ladies have given me some very good information and perhaps it's time to go on the search for a doctor that might finally be able to give me that "little magic pill"

I admire each and everyone of you !!

#73364 - 06/16/05 04:37 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
lionspaaw Offline

When I finished writing the above little "ditty" and posted it -- I saw Julie's "challenge" -- I think that's a TERRIFIC idea !!

Someone standing close behind me -- in a grocery line, movie theatre, work -- i could have a panic attack just thinking about it

#73365 - 06/16/05 05:23 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
hippopotomonstrosequippedaliaphobia - the fear of long words....yes?

Anyhoo...every single post on here is interesting to me and I applaud you all...the posters, as well as the GUEST POSTER(s). Thank you.

I'm trying to think of a fear but I can't think of one that puts me in a tailspin...if I saw a snake I can honestly say I would run over you getting away from it, but I don't think you mean this kind of thing. Right?

JJ

#73366 - 06/16/05 05:54 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Lion, I have the same discomfort about people behind me. I wouldn't call it a fear anymore, just a discomfort. I think a fear is something I think I have no control over. Now I can control how close someone stands to me; I can simply walk away! It used to be that my palms would sweat, I would sweat, my heart race, and I felt trapped. Now I'm more likely to say, "hey bud, give me some space, why don't ya." In a restaurant, I cannot be comfortable if my back is to the door or to an open space. I cannot stand it when I'm in a position where the waiter comes to the table from behind me. I have to have my back to the wall. It's easy for me to know where these discomforts come from. What matters now is how I deal with it. If I'm out with friends, I simply assert that I would be more comfortable in the spot to the back. I used to not be able to go to movies because the seats are so close I'd feel claustrophobic. Now I just move until I'm comfortable. It's interesting what you said about your bored child, Lion. And Julie, I lived in Arizona and had a tarantula on the inside windshield of my car! I bet Billy Bob was beat with some sticks of old furniture. LLL

#73367 - 06/16/05 06:47 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I don't like space behind me either, but you can get in my face anyday. I don't like poisonous spiders or deadly snakes and I have a fear of death and horses so I avoid both with a passion. What puts me in a tailspin? I don't think anything in particular.Well, I don't like ugly feet. Ugly feet can make me lose my cookies if it comes up in a conversation. Can't watch it on tv. What does it relate to? Absolutely NO idea. Don't ask me to define ugly. It's hard enough writing about it right now. Nuff said.

Maybe Billy Bob was put in an old cupboard one time? Does it have anything to do with being creepy?

chick

#73368 - 06/16/05 06:55 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm terrified of heights, therefore, deep water too. Don't ask me how I fly as much as I do. I even took flying lessons to get over the fear. Now, I just don't look out the window.

#73369 - 06/16/05 08:46 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
My husband knows I will only set in a place with my back against the wall. I will not sit so there is a door behind me. Paranoid I guess.

#73370 - 06/16/05 12:35 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Drowning -- having my head underwater.
Amputation. Of anything.
Getting burnt alive.

I believe that these were ways I died in previous lives, and the memories of those deaths have surfaced as phobias in this life.

#73371 - 06/16/05 03:55 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
lionspaaw Offline

I dont do heights well - but it's not a fear - I just get dizzy and light-headed - and have a real chance of falling.

I fear spiders -- not just don't like them -- I fear them -- those desensitizing exercises I hear about wouldn't work for me when it comes to them. I would never get that far ;-)

As far as the "someone behind me" - I'm uncomfortable with my back to an open door - but that's because of all the wacho's running around out there that like running in with guns and shooting everyone in the McDonalds - that's paranoia - not fear.

If all of a sudden I realize there's someone too close behind me I don't have control of the situation by moving away or asking them to back off -- I just freeze -- in the spot --I used to shape shift into an alter that would take care of the intruder and keep us safe until the situation passed. But since I don't switch anymore -- I just have a panic attack.

Maybe it's that I'm afraid of people. That's why I don't go too many places without my husband. If I'm alone, I watch everyone -- for instance, if I go into a convenience store and there are people in there - I will take the isles along the walls to get to the other side of the store instead of just walking right through. Or if I'm walking up to the door and some man is going to get to the door just about the time I am -- I will hesitate or turn and go back to the car -- just to avoid him. I will sit in my car until I feel it's safe to go into the store -- but it's not paranoia -- it's chill to my bones, sweat like a construction worker, stop breathing, break out in hives, want to run and hide FEAR.

Yet, if I'm with my husband, I am as trustful and naive as a child. I talk to everyone, help people, enjoy being out in the world. Go figure.

#73372 - 06/16/05 08:03 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I think our memories can be stored in our cells, thus making. Lion, I used to be like you in regards to fear. The other day, my husband and I were in a safe and sane Whole Foods Market. We were searching the store for salad dressing. There were 3 young guys in their work aprons in the aisle at a shelf. My husband said, "Go ask one of them." I said, "You're going to send ME to ask 3 guys?" A group of guys might as well be a lion's den. However, I did do it 1) to show my husband what a wimp he is about asking for directions 2) to show myself there is nothing to fear. I've learned these desensitization techniques from my counselor. And, although my husband is my safe place, I don't want to rely on him to feel safe in the world. Love and Light, Lynn

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved