The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#73293 - 06/02/05 07:18 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Julie Pedersen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hello to All,
I'm Julie Pedersen - the other author of The Panic Diaries. I want to thank Dotsie for featuring our book this month and welcome all of you to share your ideas and experiences with Jeanne and me. I'd also like to take a moment - at the beginning of this Panic Month - to advise anyone out there with panic symptoms to check with their doctor to rule out any underlying physical disorders.
Like Jeanne, I've struggled with panic symptoms since early childhood. I was never able to tell anyone about my symptoms and became Very Good at hiding them, so I imagine that some of you out there might be in a similar boat and I encourage you to jump in and join the discussion. I learned many, many things writing The Panic Diaries - but one of the things that stands out most for me is the amazing number of people around the world who are troubled by this disorder. That, and all the famous people in history (Freud, Darwin, Emily Dickinson to name just a few) who suffered from panic and other anxiety disorders. The point is, if you're someone who suffers from panic, you should know that you are not alone - there are a bazillion people (okay, maybe not quite that many) who are in the same boat with you. That might not help much in the middle of a panic attack, but it's a good thing to remind yourself of every day!
-Julie Pedersen

#73294 - 06/02/05 04:38 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Question....you say, "who suffered from panic and other anxiety disorders"

Just how many different kinds of anxiety disorders are there? Are there like categories?

I'm just curious.

JJ

#73295 - 06/03/05 07:44 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Good question jj. I know they have the answer because I remember reading about different disorders in their book.

#73296 - 06/02/05 09:19 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Julie Pedersen Offline

Yes, jj - there are official categories of anxiety disorders. The history of these categories is really fascinating - Jeanne talked a bit about this in her post yesterday.

#73297 - 06/02/05 09:36 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Julie Pedersen Offline

Sorry for the short post - my keyboard locked up (must have had a panic attack). Anyway, the DSM (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - there's a mouthful, huh?) is the official book used by physicians and mental health professionals (pretty much around the world) to treat and diagnose mental disorders. And there's a big fat section in it on anxiety disorders. In The Panic Diaries, we talk about most of the biggies - 11 in all, ranging from agoraphobia to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) to obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Each of these is category of an anxiety disorder and all anxiety disorders can have panic attacks as one of their primary symptoms. As Jeanne mentioned in her post, it wasn't until 1980 (when a revised edition of the DSM appeared) that anxiety disorders got their own little (?) section. Prior to that time, the odds of a doctor being able to diagnose and treat (not to mention "understand") your specific anxiety condition were pretty darn low. As we know nowadays, the symptoms of say, agoraphobia are vastly different from OCD or PTSD. But none of these distinctions were made before 1980. The good news in all of this is that doctors and mental health professionals have a much better understanding of these disorders than they did just a few decades ago. That means better results and treatments for you, me, Jeanne and the approximately 200 million other people around the world (low estimate, actually) who struggle with anxiety disorders! As we say in the book "if you happen to suffer from one of these disorders, you couldn't have picked a better time to be born!"
-Julie

#73298 - 06/02/05 10:05 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm a little confused. I didn't know OCD was considered in this anxiety disorder. I'm a counter.

Also, can stress or worry bring on temporary panic attacks or are they simply a symptom of them? Does this question make sense?

#73299 - 06/03/05 12:09 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
JJ, I had to laugh when you wrote that you had a panic attack on the day you married. Me too (first so-called marriage) Before the 1980 DSM, I was diagnosed as depression/anxiety. That is what I was treated for. However, little did they know at the time that the reason for the depression/anxiety was in the PTSD I had from childhood abuse. I am glad that the DSM and professionals and meds have evolved to more specifically target the symptoms, and likely get to the root cause. I don't get panic attacks very often anymore due to meds. Mine are likely to occur at night when I'm trying to sleep! And driving while in a panic can be dangerous. I hope the discussions here will serve to help all of us how have experienced what can be debilitating attacks. Love and Light, Lynn

#73300 - 06/03/05 04:47 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
JeanneJ Offline

Yes, OCD is categorized as an anxiety disorder. And yes, stress is often a "trigger" for panic attacks.

The thing to remember is that panic attacks are a symptom, much like a sneeze is a symptom. A sneeze could just be, well, a sneeze, or it could be the first symptom of a cold or a flu or allergies.

Often a stressful event such as, the death of a loved one, marriage, divorce, bankruptcy or college graduation, to name just a few, can act as a trigger. Perhaps you experience a panic attack, or two, and that's it. However, if you are predisposed to an anxiety disorder, the stressful event can "trigger" the illness. Generally, the rule is if your panic attacks are disrupting your life, if you are making changes in your life based on your panic attacks, then you should seek professional help.

Hope this helps!

Jeanne

#73301 - 06/03/05 10:17 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by JeanneJ:
...And yes, stress is often a "trigger" for panic attacks.

Hello Jeanne and Julie. A warm welcome.

During the course of my years of therapy, I learned how to recognize most of the 'triggers' of panic attacks (also learned that I was riddled with them).

The symptoms I experienced were buried deep since I believed that I was really loosing it. When I learned that there was a name for these feelings, I was happy and sad. Sad that there cause for such diagnosis. Happy that I could finally express these 'strange' feelings to a supposed professional that could offer strategic coping suggestions.

I've learned, for the most part, to ignore the symptoms that agoraphobia offered me since I'm single and would have starved. I reeeeallly feel bad for people that suffer from that.

The one that I have NOT been able to conquer is the ones triggered by the olfactory senses. I know where the symptoms came from. The real problem is that these usually take place during the summer since that's when the city is repairing the streets and roofs with tar.

In a nutshell, I was being tortured as a child during a period when the school I attended was tarring the roof. The stinch drifted for miles. During the sexual abuse, I could smell that.

Now, I'm stopped in my tracks each summer by this scent and even more pleasant scents like jasmine and honeysuckle. I have some great tracks going on for myself lately and fear that the summer will send me back into my house and I will loose the momentum I've finally gained to get my life started on a the path it should have been.

These panic attacks have taken over my life. I'm stressed right now with good and some bad stress. I fear the revolving door PA has waiting for me since summer is approaching fast (this is WI so we are still kinda chilled here:( Do you know how to move on thru olfactory type panic attacks. Lynn, Dianne and a few more BW offered some great suggestions that worked for the moment to sooth once I was back safely tucked away at home. I never shared with them that I just didn't go back outside and that I closed my windows last summer trying to avoid what had obviously taken place anyhow. I was stuck at home, panicked. Is there a such thing as circumstantial agoraphobia?

Sheree [Confused]

[ June 05, 2005, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Sugaree ]

#73302 - 06/04/05 03:01 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I just wanted to let you know that my book, THE PANIC DIARIES arrived today and I've started reading it. Thank you Jeanne and Julie for writing such a straight forward, no nonsense book.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved