The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#72024 - 11/24/04 10:14 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Carolyn,
I love all of the questions that Dotsie has put before you, and I'll bow to those until you are able to answer them for us, then I'll post my own. You are definetly da bomb girl. It was a good day at the ranch when Dotsie brought you to us. Thank you Dotsie! Thank you!

JJ

#72025 - 11/27/04 07:07 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Hi, Boomers:
I hope you are all having a relaxing weekend.
Dots sie asked some questions. My answers are in caps--hope that works for you.

How long did it take you to write your book? THIS IS THE PLACE TOOK THREE YEARS. I THOUGHT I KNEW WHAT WRITING A NOVEL WOULD BE LIKE, AFTER ALL, I HAD BEEN A JOURNALIST AND AN ENGLISH LIT MAJOR, RIGHT? WRONG. I HAD TO BACK TRACK, LEARN STRUCTURE, SOME SPECIAL DIALOGUE TRICKS AND A WHOLE LOT MORE. NOVELS NOW ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE CLASSICS. I PUNCHED FRUGAL OUT IN ABOUT 6 MONTHS. I UTILIZED LOTS OF ARTICLES I HAD WRITTEN ON PROMOTION FOR A TRADE MAGAZINE I WRITE FOR AND HAD MOST OF THAT INFORMATION IN MY HEAD FROM PROMOTING MY FIRST TWO BOOKS. SO IT WAS WRITING AND EDITING, MOSTLY. NOT RESEARCH.

How many hours do you spend writing, promoting, and networking a week? MORE THAN ANY OF YOU WANT TO HEAR. THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED TO DO THAT. I WROTE FRUGAL SO THAT YOU COULD PICK AND CHOOSE AND BENEFIT FROM MY EXPERIENCE IF IT SEEMED THAT MY OPINIONS WOULD FIT YOUR PERSONALITY, TOO. (JAW,JAW, THOSE BOOK SIGNINGS! THEY'RE A PROMOTION THAT I ONLY LIKE UNDER VERY STRINGENT CONDITIONS!) REMEMBER, LADIES, WRITING (AND PROMOTING) IS NOW MY FIRST JOB--I DON'T HAVE TO JAM IT INTO A DAY JOB SCHEDULE ANY MORE.

I know you must be working on something now. Mind telling us? OHHH, I'VE GOT A BOOK OF POETRY SORT OF GOING AND A NEW NOVEL CALLED LABYRINTH THAT I HAVE WRITTEN 8 CHAPTERS OF AND THEN, WHEN I SAY I GAVE UP FICTION FOR FRUGAL, I MEAN IT. IT'S BEEN MORE THAN A YEAR SINCE I TOUCHED IT. BUT I WILL GET BACK TO IT. THE GREEK MYTH OF KING MINOS OF CRETE UNDERLIES THE PLOT. I'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT IT BUT I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF FRUGAL'S FUTURE FIRST.

BY THE WAY, I APPRECIATE ALL THAT MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE TO SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT FRUGAL.

#72026 - 11/27/04 07:13 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Louisa and Dotsie:
Oh, no, another learning curve. I awa something on shopping that Louisa started, but her new topic in this forum eludes me. Can you help? I'm not neglecting you, Louisa. It's just that forums, chats, etc. are not something I've done much of in the past--you'll note that I have no chapter on them in FRUGAL. If there is ever a FRUGAL II, this experience will help me greatly!!

#72027 - 11/27/04 10:27 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Carolyn, if you click on the left side where it says "*Featured Author" you will see the topic, "Writing Grants". Click on that and you will see her question. Hope this helps.

#72028 - 11/28/04 08:15 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Kristin Offline

Hi Carolyn,

Why do other writers, especially women, feel the need to cut each other down? I get flak all the time because I'm not published with one of the big houses, and believe me, if anyone should be disgruntled it should be me! But I'm not. Some women writers in my experience just like to feel superior to you no matter what stage of their career. I've had many more wonderful experiences with mentors like you!

What experiences have you had and how do you deal with it?

#72029 - 11/28/04 03:59 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ahh...excuse meeeee! I'm gonna jump in here and say something...Kristin..Where the heck you been honey? Now you go on over to the "Welcome" and intro yourself! These women need to go to your web page and check out..better yet, BUY your book.

Holy Moly! My mouth is watering, my keyboard has slobber all over it and get this, the recipes aren't hard either! They are made for da Queen here (I hate to cook, but love to eat). At least from what I saw. I can't wait to get my copy and just in time for the holidays too! Yahoo! You DO autograph the books, right? Hey...I just had a cool idea! Why not send samples of the cookies with every book purchased? hey? hey? WHAT? okay...okay...I'll quit. A girl can try, can't she? WELCOME FRIEND...there's one thing you won't find here, and that's the "big me, little you" attitude. We support each other...it's what we do.

Hugs and welcome, JJ (resident Queen)

#72030 - 11/28/04 04:14 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kristin, I'm with jawjaw on this one. Please tell us more aobut yourself.

Also, you need to hang out in here. We never play that high almighty game in here. We truly share contacts, submission ideas, etc. If you go back and search the writer threads you'll find that many of the women in here submit and share. Several boomer women from this site have been published in many of the same publications. Right girls?

I'm happy to share that I've not run into this attitude since beginning this project. Women have been most gracious!

Welcome aboard!

#72031 - 11/29/04 04:05 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Kristin Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Kristin, I'm with jawjaw on this one. Please tell us more aobut yourself.

Also, you need to hang out in here. We never play that high almighty game in here. We truly share contacts, submission ideas, etc. If you go back and search the writer threads you'll find that many of the women in here submit and share. Several boomer women from this site have been published in many of the same publications. Right girls?

I'm happy to share that I've not run into this attitude since beginning this project. Women have been most gracious!

Welcome aboard!

Thank you! You like me! You really like me! I wanna make love to all of you! (Okay I just channeled Roberto Benigni instead of Sally Field--disturbing.) Here's my intro:

http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000095

Thank you for the warm welcome. Virtual cookies all around. I love the lack of attitude and most of the women I've met have been terrific. On this forum now too.

#72032 - 11/29/04 04:09 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Kristin Offline

quote:
Originally posted by jawjaw:
Ahh...excuse meeeee! I'm gonna jump in here and say something...Kristin..Where the heck you been honey? Now you go on over to the "Welcome" and intro yourself! These women need to go to your web page and check out..better yet, BUY your book.

Holy Moly! My mouth is watering, my keyboard has slobber all over it and get this, the recipes aren't hard either! They are made for da Queen here (I hate to cook, but love to eat). At least from what I saw. I can't wait to get my copy and just in time for the holidays too! Yahoo! You DO autograph the books, right? Hey...I just had a cool idea! Why not send samples of the cookies with every book purchased? hey? hey? WHAT? okay...okay...I'll quit. A girl can try, can't she? WELCOME FRIEND...there's one thing you won't find here, and that's the "big me, little you" attitude. We support each other...it's what we do.

Hi Your Majesty! Tell me does your Penwomanship refer to the NLAPW? I'm a member and officer of the Palm Springs Branch (the youngest)!

I'm more the writer than the baker on the project. My friend and co-author Mimi is the baker. That said, I do a mean chocolate chip cookie.

I just learned about this site from Carolyn's wonderful newsletter.

Can I speak on behalf of cookies? We all saw the insanity of Black Friday--it looked like the Pistons game (as a former Michigander, I'm disappointed). What could be a more wonderful way to celebrate a season of giving than by baking? I'm going to do it this year. It's the best thing I can think of, to give someone something you've made from your heart instead of the stuff we buy that no one really needs.

#72033 - 11/29/04 04:11 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Kristin Offline

quote:
Originally posted by jawjaw:

To save time I'll send you an autographed label. Reply privately with your snailmail. (You did buy the book right?)

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved