The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 68 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#72004 - 11/16/04 01:39 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Carolyn,
Just wanted to say thank you, I received my media kit today. I love the beautiful picture of you with your dog. I'm sure it is going to prove to be very useful to me in the future. (LOL the kit, not the picture [Smile] ) (but I do like the picture)
I'm still waiting for the book though. I also had an email telling me it's on its way and so I know I'll have it soon. I wanted to be able to read it before you left us, in case I had any questions for you about it. I'm going away for the holiday so I don't think that is going to be a possibility. Is there any chance you'll be popping in after this month, say maybe for a visit, just to say hello?

#72005 - 11/16/04 10:31 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I finshed reading Chapter Four, Build Credentials For Your Kit and I was exhausted. There are so many practical tips in that one section. That chapter alone is worth the price of the book. When I'm finished the whoel book I'm going back and attempting to do all the excellent suggestions.

Carolyn, we travel some of the same sites on the internet. I recognize many of the web sites and names listed, but not ALL. I've got work to do girl. You wear me out!

#72006 - 11/17/04 04:45 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Dotsie says I wear her out. Remember, the book is designed so that you pick and choose what fits your personality and pocketbook. It took me four years to accumulate that knowledge--you can't do it all at one. Then, knowing you Dots, maybe you can. I like that chapter on building creddentials, too. One reason I like it is that writers who haven't even begun to think about putting a book together can start building the groundwork for a successful book launch with that chapter. FRUGAL isn't just for published authors.

I'm glad you are all receiving your media kits. Remember, don't let the size of that kit discourage you either. The technique you learn in FRUGAL is to have a "page" or "folder" for each section and then fill in as you build your resume. The whole kit may not go out to everyone, either. An example is the experts list. That would only go out when you are pitching an interview or a feature on a subject where the editor/producer would need opposing or additional opinions. So, it wouldn't go in the kit for a book launch. Also, remember, that many beginning authors send out kits when they should be sending out an inexpensive query letter. In this case, the kit goes out when you get a nibble for a big story. In other words, use a kit like any tool. You'd pick the right bit for a screwdriver now, wouldn't you?
Best to you all. Tomorrow is a busy day for me. I am speaking to the American Business Women's Association and gotta get my hair uh, mmmm. touched up for that! So you may not hear from me tomorrow. The weekend will be prolematic--my weekend seminar at UCLA is that weekend. The good news is that it's filled up with a waiting list. Yeah!!!
Thanks again to all of you who have supported me. Keep the questions coming!
Best,
[Cool] I had to try this guy with the sunglasses. I'm from Calfifornia, you know. [Smile]

#72007 - 11/17/04 06:45 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Queen Me Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Hi Carolyn!

I'm just getting around to reading all the posts. Great stuff here.

I wanted to return to an earlier statement you made about self publishing. Why did you go that route with your current book? Did you use one of the companies like iUniverse.com, booklockers.com, publishamerica.com or did you create your own publishing company?

I've finished my first draft of a nonfiction book and am now considering all my options. From the sound of things I should have read your book twelve months ago!

#72008 - 11/18/04 12:17 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hurray, my book, The Frugal Book Promoter, arrived in the mail today. I've already started reading it. I plan on it being my "bible" for my next book, TRUST IN THE WIND to be released in early 2006.
Thanks Carolyn for writing such a much needed book.

#72009 - 11/18/04 12:36 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Allyn asked: "I wanted to return to an earlier statement you made about self publishing. Why did you go that route with your current book? Did you use one of the companies like iUniverse.com, booklockers.com, publishamerica.com or did you create your own publishing company?"

Glad you fot in on this, Allyn. First of all we have to clarify terms. iUniverse, booklockers etc are not SELF publishing. They are subsidy publishing. You pay them--both their expenses plus some profit--to publish something for you. True SELF publishing is when you form your own company, do all the work including getting your own ISBN or that International number we were talking about on this forum a little earlier and all that other stuff. It is not impossible to do but it is a good, steep learning curve. I know most of that curve but didn't really want to spend the time--I'd rather write. And, I'd rather promote. So I chose an alternate route where I paid someone to do the work for me but the press OPERATES like self-ublishing. Star Publish doesn't take a cent from my trade paperback sales. This publisher makes her money (everybody's got to live!) up fron and on the e-book sales. This means that all my UCLA students, etc. who buy paperbacks will be buying from my distributors exactly as if I had self-published.

Why did I choose it.
A. Self-publishing is great if you are writing nonfcition with a built-in audience (like speaking tours, classes you teach, etc.) Why let even a big publisher reap all the profits when you can do can get them?
B. I needed it out FAST for my fall quarter class. STAR could do it for me in about 60 days. No one else could give me that kind of speed including if I'd done it myself (that learning curve, reseach, etc would take some time).
C. I like having full control over this kind of a book.

I'm not sure I would do this with my next novel. I do know, that even if I publish my next novel with a small press or a big press that I will still have to do all the promoting myself. I can't tell you how many sad stories I hear each week about people who have gone the agent/big pubisher route only to be verrrry disappointed with their promotion efforts and with the royalties they end up getting (and with the small--beginning author--advances!!)

Hope this helps!!

#72010 - 11/18/04 12:38 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Vicki:
Glad THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER ARRIVED!!!! Yeah!! How long did it take from ordering date to door? It seems some people I hear from are receiving them very fast and some not.
Good reading, Vicki. And thank you.

#72011 - 11/18/04 01:22 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
It was less than a week. I could live with that. I'll let you know when I receive the sample media kit.

#72012 - 11/18/04 01:25 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I got my copy of the book also!

#72013 - 11/18/04 07:22 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Queen Me Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Dear Carolyn,

Yes, your reply was indeed helpful and most timely. Decisions, decisions.

I must confess that I now believe writing the book was the "easiest" part of the process!

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved